Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

I have NEVER heard of this:

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:35 PM
  • 33 Replies

A lady came by the neighborhood today handing our invitations to Vacation Bible School that starts next week. I love kids going to vacation Bible school. It's fun, they meet new friends, make crafts and so much more. I was considering it until I noticed there is a sign up fee. I have helped do vacation Bible school, teach them, produce them and all of it. I have never, ever heard of anyone charging for vacation Bible school. It is 10 dollars per kid. No not a lot, but I don't have a lot of extra cash. We are doing a stay cation this year and saving for a puppy.  I don't expect to be handed anything or feel entitled to free child care. I just never heard of charging for it before. Our church has had them before and we do it as a community outreach. It is free to whoever wants to come and all kids get the same rights, benefits, treats etc.

I just find it odd.

by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladyvamp5489
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:40 PM
2 moms liked this

My dad was a preacher and we NEVER charged for them, they were free every summer for whoever wanted to send their kids. I have never heard of charging for them, just wrong imo.

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know much about it. Are they providing lunch or something? Or maybe it's a small fee because they want to make sure anyone that signs up is serious about it?
Thelmama
by Thelma on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:46 PM

It's from 6 to 9 pm so after most people have supper.  It doesn't say anything about food. The have a class for parents that is no cost. I guess for curriculum?  In any case, I have to teach at my church for our preK kids during the week and they'd have to miss a night.  I don't want to pay for something they will not get full benefit of. I guess they have to recover costs and such.  

Quoting Noni2319: I don't know much about it. Are they providing lunch or something? Or maybe it's a small fee because they want to make sure anyone that signs up is serious about it?

jujubear1
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never heard of it either. Maybe the church can't afford as many kids as they're expecting so that's their way of funding it or maybe they don't want a bunch of kids signing up and then not showing.
RutterMama
by Tia on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I've not heard of them charging either. Strange.

Discover how this stay at home mommy of 2 used Facebook to give herself a 
$7,200 annual raise!  ***Contact me today to find out how!***

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this
That seems really late to me. What ages is it for?

Maybe we're just odd, but we always miss things because they are just to late. My boys don't well if they're out after 7. Unless we really plan for it and get them up early and get them to take naps and its a pain.

Quoting Thelmama:

It's from 6 to 9 pm so after most people have supper.  It doesn't say anything about food. The have a class for parents that is no cost. I guess for curriculum?  In any case, I have to teach at my church for our preK kids during the week and they'd have to miss a night.  I don't want to pay for something they will not get full benefit of. I guess they have to recover costs and such.  

Quoting Noni2319: I don't know much about it. Are they providing lunch or something? Or maybe it's a small fee because they want to make sure anyone that signs up is serious about it?

3girls221111
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

9pm?

My kids are in bed by then. 

Seems late for kids.

Quoting Thelmama:

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:51 PM

It's for ages 2 to 12.  It may well be to keep numbers down because I don't know a lot of people that would want to pay for vacation Bible school.

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:54 PM
Wow! That is way to late for little kids.

Quoting Thelmama:

It's for ages 2 to 12.  It may well be to keep numbers down because I don't know a lot of people that would want to pay for vacation Bible school.

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:55 PM
So are mine.

Quoting 3girls221111:

9pm?

My kids are in bed by then. 

Seems late for kids.

Quoting Thelmama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)