Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Would you be missed?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Amy
  • 17 Replies

So this weird thing happened about a block from the house I lived in when I was married.  The decomposing body of an elderly woman was found after neighbors called requesting a welfare check because the mail, newspapers and weeds were all growing to huge proportions.  

It turns out the woman's daughter had been living in the home, as her caretaker, but neighbors say a few months ago the daughter moved out and moved in with some friends in the neighborhood. The friend's asked about her mom and she never gave them any straight answers, but she never checked in on her mom that they knew about so they assumed someone else was taking care of her.

Police are now saying that the woman was dead in the home for months, possibly longer.  They had to wear hazmat suits when searching the home over the weekend.

So, my question is... if you stopped showing up for things, stopped coming out of your home and going for walks in your neighborhood.  Would you be missed?  Do you think anyone would come to check on you?

by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DNewman
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Wow how bizarre! I don't show up for  alot of things but my family would sure contact me from time to time and worry when I didn't reply! 

EireLass
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Well, my husband would notice if I was dead. haha

If I stopped texting my daughter.....if I stopped posting on facebook....those are mostly what would be noticed. I live in the woods, neighbors wouldn't notice anything. There's nothing in my town....very small farm town, so nobody would notice me not showing up to things....nothing to show up for. 

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:57 PM
My husband would notice, hopefully lol. And work would notice if I stopped showing up and didn't call. But my neighbors wouldn't.
RutterMama
by Tia on Jun. 16, 2014 at 3:03 PM

I think I would be missed for sure. I would hope so anyways!!

Discover how this stay at home mommy of 2 used Facebook to give herself a 
$7,200 annual raise!  ***Contact me today to find out how!***

SweetBabySmell
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 6:21 AM

By ds, if I didn't answer texts he might think to come by after a while,, whether that be a few days or weeks would depend on what he wanted. Not so dear husband yes simply because he lives here, but only after yelling at me to get off my ass and getting pissed because I hadn't moved, then he'd get close enough to see, probably after a day, or wondering what would be for dinner. My sis lives out of state so that might take a while, she'd probably send ds and that would be a couple days before he got around to it thinking she was overreacting. Yeah, the way things are going right now in my home, I actually hope I would start smelling first. It would serve him right.

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jun. 17, 2014 at 7:33 AM

I find is suspicious that the daugther moved out suddenly and never checked on her mom. Did she know she was dead before she moved out? The not giving a straight answer is weird. I would be missed because I go to church, do things with neighbors and so much more. People would know something was wrong if I just disappeared from all contact.

SpiritFortress
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Yes. I've had the police at my door checking on me in the past. Given my history, it wouldn't take long for someone to come check on me. 

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Jun. 17, 2014 at 12:37 PM

I wonder what the timeframe is for the woman's death and the daughter moving out. Jus' sayn'...

I think that's the saddest. This woman died, and no one knew..no one saw her with any regularity that she was missed. So sad.

My dh would notice if I died..(he IS a man, but I HOPE he'd notice..LOL)

My kids would notice. For sure, no one buttering the bread of their lives, Oh they'd notice..for sure!

Sister_Someone
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Well, I live with family, so there's that. I'm fairly certain my best friend would also freak if I went more than 24h without replying to a text or an e-mail. 

slondon1031
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Outside of my mother who calls me once a week to make sure I am alive and well, and my DF, no, I don't think anyone in my neighborhood would notice if something happened to me. I am pretty reclusive, choosing to spend my days inside with my DD instead of hanging out with a bunch of people. That, and I can be very blunt and harsh if people push the wrong buttons, so more often than not a lot of people spend time angry with me because they don't like hearing the truth, or how I don't sugar coat things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN