Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Going from 2 to 6

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 10:36 AM
  • 9 Replies

My family is growing to six, I am now the legal guardian of my four nieces. It's going from me and my fiancé, too us and my four nieces. Today we are making the eight hour trip from my parents where we have been staying to where my fiancé and I live. It's a big adjustment for all us right now, they have just lost both of their parents. They are all communicating very well with me and my fiancé. It's me and the girls heading home today, my fiancé went home last week to get the house ready and to paint the girls room. I'm just not sure how to make them feel at home, they all get along with my fiancé and he loves the girls like they are his own.

by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:28 AM
It's sounds like you are off to a good start. Just be patient and give then time to adjust.
mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 2:03 PM

I wish the best for all of you!

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 12:47 AM

I'm sorry for your loss. Allow the girls to talk freely about their parents and maybe put up some pictures of them in the girls room.

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jun. 27, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Just be there for them to talk and listen. Hopefully they have some things from home that they can put up or have in their new rooms.  Ask the girls how they'd like the room or some suggestions.  They might want an all new look or something familar.  Have them keep journals with letters to their parents in it and they can show you if they want or keep them private. I suggest counseling.  Take it one day at a time but dont' let them get away with wrong behavior simply because they lost their parents. They need understanding and boundaries. While you give them time to adjust make sure they know there are boundaries. Sometimes people go to far with letting them adjust they don't correct behavior that needs correction.  Now if they are used to going to bed at say 10 pm I wouldn't change that all of a sudden but if they are being disrespectful at any time, let them know that while they have been through  lot they have to be respectful. Slowly change bedtime rules and such to fit your home.  Try to serve familar meals within reason.  

Clubpenguin
by Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 8:12 AM

That's so a lot of change. I would get counseling for you as we'll as the girls. Whst happened to their parents? So very sorry for your loss. Thank god for those girls they have you and him.

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Jun. 27, 2014 at 12:15 PM

That's quite a lot of change they're (and you and df) are going through. It's good they're talking to you now. My suggestion would be counseling. All 6 of you are going though adjustments, changes, and mourning the loss of 2 great people. 

Sorry for your loss.

Polkadotted
by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 11:58 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. Good luck to you all. 

Deee6
by Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I would recommend counseling for them and even you and your future husband also. 

Good luck and  bless you for taking in these children

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Jun. 28, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Wow, that's going to be an adjustment! I wish you the best. How old are the girls?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)