Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

I may be crazy

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 7:58 AM
  • 18 Replies

But I am back to my babysitting today, two days out from the severe sprain.  My mil keeps saying..."are you sure you can handle it"?  Uhm, yeah. I am on crutches and have some pain but yes, yes I can. I have taken care of kids after surgery and while ill. I have taken care of kids in all sorts of situations. They will not get water play today but I can handle it. If they get nuts I will put a movie on for them.  They can have sandwiches for lunch and most of them can do that themselves of with me sitting at the table doing it for them.  My kids are self sufficient and can make most anything. The other 3 are not.  My kids are 7,10 and 13. The other kids are 5,6 and 7.  They haven't had practice making their own sandwiches. Mine have since age 4. LOL.  She thinks I will need rescuing. I will keep my grandkids but not the others. I know that, duh, I would never ask her to keep someone else's kids. LOL.  I get paid to watch kids. It is like a job. You don't call off work simply because you sprained an ankle and foot. It will be indoor play but hey I think I can handle it. LOL

by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jun. 27, 2014 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure you can. I've had a houseful of kids a few days this week. And I've managed fine. I'm allowed to walk on my foot, but sucks. We've just had more video game time than usual.
Thelmama
by Thelma on Jun. 27, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Okay, I missed something or my pain meds have me forgetful. What happened to your foot?  I had to take a pain pill..the pain was at a 9.  I am able to stay awake though so I will not fall alseep on the kids I keep.  I will not skip  a pill again. YIKES. I did not remember from childhood(had sprains back then) that spains hurt so bad. The nurse at the clinic said "we can tell you are in pain because your blood pressure is up". I normally have very good blood pressure, they have seen me before. It was elevated.  

Quoting Noni2319: I'm sure you can. I've had a houseful of kids a few days this week. And I've managed fine. I'm allowed to walk on my foot, but sucks. We've just had more video game time than usual.

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jun. 27, 2014 at 10:49 AM
I broke my toe. I had a severe sprain when I was 12 and it sucked. This is so much worse it seems. I feel like such a cry baby.

Quoting Thelmama:

Okay, I missed something or my pain meds have me forgetful. What happened to your foot?  I had to take a pain pill..the pain was at a 9.  I am able to stay awake though so I will not fall alseep on the kids I keep.  I will not skip  a pill again. YIKES. I did not remember from childhood(had sprains back then) that spains hurt so bad. The nurse at the clinic said "we can tell you are in pain because your blood pressure is up". I normally have very good blood pressure, they have seen me before. It was elevated.  

Quoting Noni2319: I'm sure you can. I've had a houseful of kids a few days this week. And I've managed fine. I'm allowed to walk on my foot, but sucks. We've just had more video game time than usual.

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jun. 27, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I have had broken toes before they hurt. I honestly think I probably tores some stuff in my foot because the pain is horrendus. Feel better. I feel like a cry baby too but the pain is bad and I have a high pain tolerance.

Quoting Noni2319: I broke my toe. I had a severe sprain when I was 12 and it sucked. This is so much worse it seems. I feel like such a cry baby.
Quoting Thelmama:

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Jun. 27, 2014 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Hope you feel better soon.

When your pain gets to about a 4-5 take your pain pill. If you're afraid of being sleepy, try Naproxyn or Advil in between. Percocet has Tylenol in it so if you take any Tylenol pay attention to how much you're taking. Additionally, Advil and Naproxyn are better for muscle/bone pain. 

Oh and at the end of the day, try and elevate it. that'll also help with pain/swelling.

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jun. 27, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Thank you. They gave me hyrdocodeine because I can't have advil or any type of ibouproufen, very allergic.  I am keeping it elevated and still icing off and on.  I know it just takes time. Just, ain't nobody got time for this..LOL. Elevation definitely helps as it dangling down Hurts

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jun. 27, 2014 at 12:30 PM
I'm allergic to that too. And it really drives me crazy because they always say "are you sure?" I guess people commonly mistake one of the side effects has an allergic reaction.

Quoting Thelmama:

Thank you. They gave me hyrdocodeine because I can't have advil or any type of ibouproufen, very allergic.  I am keeping it elevated and still icing off and on.  I know it just takes time. Just, ain't nobody got time for this..LOL. Elevation definitely helps as it dangling down Hurts

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jun. 27, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Yes, like well, I think my lips swelling up like a bullfrog is enough of a reaction for me, that I will never take the stuff again. LOL. That usually hushes them up.  I took it as a teen and it scared my mother so bad she too a bendadryl capsule and opened it and put it under my tongue to make it get in my system faster. We had no phone and no car. My Mama was so scared.  She probably did the right thing by putting it under my tongue. I swelled up so bad lips, face etc.

Quoting Noni2319: I'm allergic to that too. And it really drives me crazy because they always say "are you sure?" I guess people commonly mistake one of the side effects has an allergic reaction.
Quoting Thelmama:

Moxiesbuddy
by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

You're quite a trooper, Thelmama. Those ankle sprains can involve varying degrees of ligament tearing, so your pain is warranted. I wound up in a cast for one and they do throb if you can't elevate for awhile. As you wean off the pain meds, your doctor may suggest going to half a pill and extending the time as you're able to tolerate it.

From what you shared, it sounds like you're able to manage multiple kids like a champ. Just don't overdo it, sweety!

Moxiesbuddy

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you that is good advice. This boot thing probably is almost as good as a cast. Now I know why he gave me 30 pills. I thought it was over kill on the amount, now I think NOT. LOL.

The kids are being great. I have them watching Smurfs 2 at the moment.  Yay for Netflix. LOL

Quoting Moxiesbuddy:

You're quite a trooper, Thelmama. Those ankle sprains can involve varying degrees of ligament tearing, so your pain is warranted. I wound up in a cast for one and they do throb if you can't elevate for awhile. As you wean off the pain meds, your doctor may suggest going to half a pill and extending the time as you're able to tolerate it.

From what you shared, it sounds like you're able to manage multiple kids like a champ. Just don't overdo it, sweety!

Moxiesbuddy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN