Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Who's wrong?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:06 PM
  • 14 Replies

Starbucks Praises Barista Who Defended Breastfeeding Mom

Getty ImagesGetty ImagesAfter a mother in Ottawa, Canada, was scolded by a customer for nursing her baby inside a Starbucks and a male barista came to her aid, the coffee giant expressed support for its employee, saying he did the right thing.

“We want everyone who comes to our stores to enjoy their visit and to be treated with dignity and respect," Louisa Girotto, director of public affairs at Starbucks Canada, tells Yahoo Shine. "We were very pleased with the customer service our partner offered the woman who was breastfeeding, and I will reach out to him directly.”

The story recently went viral after blogger Annie Urban shared it on her Facebook page for her blog, PhD in Parenting, racking up almost 28,000 likes and 1,800 shares by Tuesday. In June, mother Julia Wykes visited a Starbucks on Trainyards Drive in Ottawa, and when her 5-month-old son became hungry, she sat down at a table to breastfeed. Soon, a female customer approached a male barista to complain.

"She said in a very loud voice, I was obviously meant to hear, 'Could you get that woman to stop doing that in public? It is disgusting,'" Wykes told the website SheKnows. The barista, a teenager who Starbucks confirmed to Yahoo Shine is named Alex Kim, told the customer he would ‘take care of it,” then approached Wykes.

To Wykes's surprise, Kim didn’t relay the woman's complaint — instead he smiled and apologized on behalf of the customer, then offered her a free refill along with a voucher for a free drink. The complaining customer quickly left the store.

"To have a young man be more kind and informed than a middle-aged woman who may have had children herself was a shock,” Wykes told SheKnows. “And while it may be a huge multinational company, I am glad that such a positive experience occurred in a Starbucks, it shows that they employ good people."

According to a statement on the government agency website Ontario Human Rights Commission, women have “the right to breastfeed a child in a public area. No one should prevent you from breastfeeding your child simply because you are in a public area. They should not ask you to ‘cover up,’ disturb you, or ask you to move to another area that is more ‘discreet.’”

Yahoo Shine could not reach Wykes or Kim for comment.

Breastfeeding has become a hot-button issue lately. In June, a photo of Karlesha Thurman, a 25-year-old California State University, Long Beach graduate, breastfeeding her daughter while wearing her cap and gown on campus, went viral. Thurman had posted it on the Facebook page Black Women Do Breastfeed, and the Internet exploded with both support and criticism for Thurman, who credited her daughter for helping her stay in school. And in May, two dozen mothers staged a “nurse-in” outside an LA Fitness club in Oceanside, California, in support of a woman named Monique Golueke after a gym employee told her to stop nursing her 9-month-old baby in the women’s locker room and finish in the bathroom (where the only place to sit was on a toilet) after a fellow gym-goer complained.

by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:08 PM
4 moms liked this

I commend the barista for defending the mother. Many teens wouldn't have done that and some are still grossed out by the idea of breast feeding. I think the other customer was extremely rude.

cc5112
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

What is wrong with people? Especially other women in regards to breastfeeding?! Breasts are for feeding your child.Period. Sexualization/objectifying of breasts is a social construct. 

How wonderful hat the teen was so mature beyond his years and not only apologized to the mom but made her feel welcomed  ( free refill) and made sure she would come back ( gift card). People who are offended should  leave or turn away! Some people, ...honestly... smh

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I also commend the teenager. His parents should be proud.

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I applaud that young man!!

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jul. 3, 2014 at 1:05 AM

That barista sounds awesome!

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:13 AM

wow

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Jul. 3, 2014 at 1:24 PM
I think it's fantastic what he did. People are so stupid about breastfeeding.
downeastmamax2
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 1:36 PM

What an awesome story!  Bravo to Mr. Kim....

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jul. 4, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Way to go kid! If I was his Mama, I would be very proud of him.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Jul. 4, 2014 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

They really should! I'd like to think my ds would do the same when he's that age.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

I also commend the teenager. His parents should be proud.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)