Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Time to voice your opinion moms

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:10 PM
  • 5 Replies

Today i had lunch with a group of friends and my sisters, my sister and husband recently told everyone that they were getting a divorce, they have five kids the ages of 18, 16, 15, 13, and eleven.my sister and her soon to be ex husband both want custody of the kids and she said that the custody battle is really bad. She told us how the her two oldest told her and their dad that they have decided that they want to be emancipated from their parents. She's very upset about this and she doesn't want them to go through with it. So moms what's your opinion of child emancipation in this situation?

by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:45 PM
15 and 16 year olds are still in school. Being on their own would be really hard. I'm not for it. But if the custody battle is really ugly I can see why they might want it. Perhaps they could choose which parent to live with most of the time.
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Depends upon the maturity of the child. But I can understand why they want it, sounds like neither child wants to choose one parent over the other, and/or want to remove themselves from all the drama that goes with a custody battle. the 18yo is already an adult and doesn't need to emancipated. Only the 16yo.

Without being disrespectful to your sister and (soon to be ex) bil, they really need to set aside their differences and put the needs of their children first.

Making children choose one parent over the other, is a horrendus thing to do to them on SO MANY levels. It will ONLY backfire on the parents. And from what the older 2 are requesting, seems like it's already happening.

Without being nosy..why not share custody? 

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:58 AM

I think it's an easy out for the kids because they don't want to be stuck in their parents drama.

MixedCooke
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:22 AM

yep it depends on their maturity level and what sort of plans they have regarding continuing school and supporting themselves.

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 5:28 AM

If the parents cant act like adults, give the kids a chance to. I'm all for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN