Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

My husband's Grandma bought the kids a pool last night. *Long vent...aaaaarrrrggghhhh!!!*

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 2:57 PM
  • 50 Replies

It's been in the 100s for a couple weeks now, and the 100s will continue probably all summer.  She gave my husband her credit card and asked him to go buy the kids a nice pool.  Well, the only one that the place she wanted us to go had left was a 15' x 42" round one for $124.50.  He called her and asked if that was okay.  She said absolutely.  The kids are totally excited to get it set up.

This is the pool *stock photo, ours isn't up yet*

One problem.

Our landlady.

Okay.  So.  We have a HUGE backyard.  HUGE.  Here are some pics from my window:

And...that's not all of it.  Right above where those rocks are in the last pic is a huge covered deck, with MORE backyard on the other side.  We've worked HARD and TIRELESSLY on this backyard...and the front.  She let it go waaay too long.  It was very disgusting when we started renting back in November.  We've come a LONG way, and still have a LONG way to go.

So, my husband texts our landlady "Do you have a problem with an inflatable pool in the backyard?" last night.  (He wants to put it right where you see the rock thingy in the last pic.)  There's an outdoor plugin right under the deck right there.  Perfect spot for it, so that we can plug the filter in.

She texts back this morning "Only if it's in the back where there's no grass growing...way in the back where the grass didn't grow...back by the shed."

Little does she know, but we've put grass seed down in the first and second pic just the other week.  There WILL be grass there.  In the third pic, there's still a crapton of overgrown (dead) weeds that we are trying to remove.  Next will be a rototiller to get that area ready for a garden.  Yes, we realize it will take a while, so the garden will be waiting for a bit.  The ground is NOT LEVEL back there, which is in the pool instructions to have a level surface.   There's also LOTS of prickly things around there that can pop a pool if we aren't careful.  Yes, there is a ground cover *like a tarp*, but you just never know.

So.  We may not be able to put the pool up at all, which is very disappointing to the kids.  I think we'll just have her come over and show her all of the issues that could arise from putting it back there.

Sheesh.  Landladies, lol.

frustrated

by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I think if you just explain it like you did here, she may see your reasoning. You're lucky you can put it up at all. I allowed my tenants to put up a similar, but smaller pool like yours. Periodically the insurance company sends out a person to check things out, etc. The guy saw the pool and said it wasn't allowed in a rental property. Blah. 

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 7:28 PM

I would ask her to come over and have a look around.

nana776
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 8:18 PM
3 moms liked this

I would see if she would agree to a contract that you will repair any grass damage that the pool may cause, I know you have done most of the work already, but maybe it would be worth it. Also be sure to check you city ordinances regarding safety, fencing, pool locks and such.

I hope you can get these issues resolved so you can enjoy your pool.

TappyToes
by New Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Sounds like a plan!

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:43 PM

I think if you just have her come over and explain it to her, it couldn't hurt. 

Hopes it works, and you and the kids get the pool up! We had a smaller version, kids loved it!

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:44 PM

By the way, lovely back yard. You've done a great job with it.

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jul. 11, 2014 at 10:44 PM
I think if you show her shell understand, also like someone else mentioned sign a contract that says you'll plant grass there to replace any that's gone.
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:28 PM
4 moms liked this

She came out yesterday to see where we wanted to put it.  We showed her why we couldn't put it back where she wanted us to put it (it has a filter that needs to be plugged in, it's not level ground back there, we just put grass seed back there) and she said that since we have taken the initiative to fix up the yard already, are still working very diligently on it, and she expects us to be here for a very long time, that we can put it wherever we want to.

Quoting EireLass:

I think if you just explain it like you did here, she may see your reasoning. You're lucky you can put it up at all. I allowed my tenants to put up a similar, but smaller pool like yours. Periodically the insurance company sends out a person to check things out, etc. The guy saw the pool and said it wasn't allowed in a rental property. Blah. 

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:30 PM

She came over yesterday.  We discussed everything with her, and she said that since she wants us around for a very long time and that we've already done so many wonderful things to her yard already, we can put it wherever we want to.

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

I would ask her to come over and have a look around.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:32 PM

She said a contract like that isn't necessary, and just to have fun with it.  After talking it over with her, and showing her what issues may arise with putting it back there, she agreed for us to put it wherever we wanted to.

Quoting nana776:

I would see if she would agree to a contract that you will repair any grass damage that the pool may cause, I know you have done most of the work already, but maybe it would be worth it. Also be sure to check you city ordinances regarding safety, fencing, pool locks and such.

I hope you can get these issues resolved so you can enjoy your pool.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN