Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Do you buy your kids brand new stuff for back-to-school?

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:36 AM
  • 43 Replies
If your child's backpack, lunch box, clothes, and shoes are still in good shape, do you go out an buy new stuff just because it's a new school year?
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StreetsAhead
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:05 AM
No, he gets new stuff if it required not just because bit is a new year
SpiritedWitch
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I wouldn't have if they had been in good shape. He was very rough on his stuff. I still have the first backpack I bought when I started college in 1993. 

browneyedgrl550
by New Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Depends, new shoes because of growing feet. I always got new tennis shoes forback to school as a kid.
I bought my 6th grader a LL Bean backpak for school last year and hopefully, it will make thru college for her. Mine lasted 20 yrs before it had a hole in the bottom.
The 2nd grader is a whole different thing, I am lucky if she can keep up with her back pack for a whole year.
mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Yes I do.

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:08 PM
No, they only get it when they need it. The only exception is if they decide they want to switch from character backpacks/lunch boxes to something plain.
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Yeast they really don't last at that age. My oldest was in first grade and he got 2 last year because his first one was falling apart.

Quoting browneyedgrl550: Depends, new shoes because of growing feet. I always got new tennis shoes forback to school as a kid.
I bought my 6th grader a LL Bean backpak for school last year and hopefully, it will make thru college for her. Mine lasted 20 yrs before it had a hole in the bottom.
The 2nd grader is a whole different thing, I am lucky if she can keep up with her back pack for a whole year.
my4kids274
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:51 AM

If they are still in good shape then I do not buy them new for school. 

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

It depends.  The lunchbox and backpack I'll replace even if they are in good shape if he has "outgrown" them.  Like when he had a Sesame Street backpack for preschool, but going into Kindergarten he didn't want to keep using Sesame Street.

I don't buy new just to have brand new stuff for school.  And usually his Grandma gets him a bunch of new stuff over the summer anyways.

ilovemykids732
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:56 AM

If they are still in working order? He can bring it to school again this year... otherwise [like shoes that are too small?] He gets new!

Tracys2
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't buy much new, if it's in good shape. Like another poster, my kids are still young enough that they outgrow stuff, both physically with clothes and also in lunchbox terms.

Buying a couple new outfits is not out of the question, just so they have something totally unstained, unfaded and really nice, but since it doesn't get cold here till at least October, we go a couple months with Summer clothes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN