Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

When your kid doesn't want to go back to camp

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:14 PM
  • 5 Replies

My 13 year old son goes every year to a weekly camp, where I drop him off on Sunday and pick him up on Friday. He usually goes for two or three sessions. And every year after the first session ends and he comes back home for the weekend, the same thing happens. He does not want to go back! when I ask why, his starts complaining of all the chores he has to do, the rules he has to follow and the kids or counselors he doesn't get along with...but he also tells me about all the other fun things he does and all the great friends he makes.

So I make him go back and ALWAYS he comes back from the second session with a big smile and wanting to return next year. This summer was no exception and he didn't want to go back. My husband and I decided he had to return. We value all the great positive things they do at camp, specially the interaction with other people and the growth and independence they get being away from home.

Though every time I "make" him go, I feel like the worst mother. In my heart I know he will have fun, but I hate the drama! He needs to learn that the world won't adjust to him and his needs, but it's the other way around...a big lesson!

by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Jul. 20, 2014 at 5:41 PM

I'd say if he thanks you for making him go, then it's all good. Sounds like he's adjusting the 1st time, and the 2nd time he's more familiar with everyone and everything.

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I would never "make" my child go. If it were something important yes but camp, no.

I still remember my mother "making" me go. I loved the friends I made but the rest of it...no way.

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:20 AM
It sounds like he does have fun. But I don't think id make them go.
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Quoting 143myboys9496:

I'd say if he thanks you for making him go, then it's all good. Sounds like he's adjusting the 1st time, and the 2nd time he's more familiar with everyone and everything.

This

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jul. 22, 2014 at 11:53 PM
The only time my mom "made" me go to camp was to Girl Scout camp. I was in a troop, and she was one of the leaders. I never really enjoyed it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN