Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

computer....buying ..... help!!!!

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:08 PM
  • 10 Replies
Okay when it comes to computers the only thing I'm knowledgable to pick is my nose ! I need to buy a computer haven't really done so before. i could use some good advice please. It would be for home and school use. Thanks ladies!
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Talk to the salesperson and explain what you want the computer for.  Also, think about if you want a laptop or a desktop and if it's a laptop what uses it might be put to.

Do you want a computer that can be used for gaming?  One that is better for browsing the internet, etc?  A good salesperson will be able to help you out.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:24 PM

I like windows 8, I love how you can download apps like a tablet.  I use mine for school

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 2:52 AM

I would talk to the sales person. They're usually really knowledgeable and if you don't trust what they told you you could always do a little research at home.

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jul. 26, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Talk to a few salespeople. You'll start to get an idea of what you should look for.
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Jul. 26, 2014 at 2:02 PM

We either call Dell direct and buy from them or go to Best Buy or Staples and talk to the salespeople. They'll be able to help you get what you need. 

cc5112
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends on your budget and what you want it for besides writing papers and doing online academic research. Even home budgeting and bill paying is quite simple and does not require any bells and whistles.

I love apple products, so I would suggest a MacBook Pro 15". I like that the apple stores have people who are exclusively experts on apple products. Their genius bar is great ( that's their customer service area where you go to for any questions about how to run, fix, and use your apple product).

We use to use windows and bought a couple of laptops from Staples. Our experience was that the salesperson usually read us what was on the product description when we asked about the differences in laptop brands... smh... 

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:30 AM
I really know nothing about computer buying. We actually need a new one too.
mmmveggies
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:08 AM
1 mom liked this

If you just want a computer for computing, and don't need a fancy gaming computer, consider doing what I did:

I went on tigerdirect.com and ordered the cheapest ones that had Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. $150 desktop and $200 laptop, and I'm thrilled to pieces with both of them. Five years ago I went to Tiger Direct and asked for their bottom-of-the-line computer, and it worked out great too.

Why go so cheap? Because whatever I get now would still be the best computer I've ever had, even if it is a few years old. (I got off-lease PCs). This also got me a huge discount on the operating system. Windows 7 Professional was $100 more than Home Premium new, but off lease it's cheaper. I bought two former business computers. Professional has a presentation mode, while Home doesn't. This could be helpful for me if I have to do a presentation at school. I don't know whether I'll need to, but it's better to have the option. I've read Windows 8 is geared more towards tablets, so I wasn't interested in that anyway.

A salesperson is working on commission and wants to push the latest model, plus the extended warranty. I'm not sure the extended warranty is a good deal.

jesusismyfriend
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Buy a Mac. I love mine! Dh bought an hp and its been nothing but problems. 

hypersquirrel
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:40 PM
Thank you ladies :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN