Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

At what age should you stop taking your little boy into the ladies public restroom?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM
  • 68 Replies
1 mom liked this

At the mall yesterday and a mom brought her 8 year old into the ladies room. I thought that was a little old but talking to another mom today she said her DS was about 10 when she let him go into a public restroom by himself.  Moms of boys, what do you do??

What about a little girl into a men's public restroom?

by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DACIA79
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:38 AM
4 moms liked this
It depends on the kid and location of the restroom.

My kids are 11 and 9 and I take them in the ladles bathroom with me.
JIJsMom
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:42 AM
2 moms liked this
When I feel comfortable sending my Son into the men's room alone. I'm not there yet. No one has said anything about it when my Son is in the ladies' room with me, and I seriously dare anyone to try. He's respectful when in there, and it's not like He can see anyone using the toilet - they're in a stall! Unless they feel weird about a male being present when they wash their hands, well - that's their own issue. lol.
lovemymini
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

It completely depends on where we are.  If we are traveling he comes with me into the bathroom.  I really don't care if it upsets people.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:47 PM
It depends on the kid. DH and my father take dd into the bathroom with them, because she's four and too little to be left alone while they go and too young to go by herself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
esox
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I'd say 6 would be the limit for me. They make family restrooms for a reason and most places have them now. 

motherslove82
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:50 PM

It depends on where we are. My 8 year old decided right around the time he turned 8 that he was uncomfortable going in the women's restroom. One day everything was fine, the next time he hit the brakes at the door and refused to go in. I would have let him go in for a little while longer, but I won't force him if he is that uncomfortable. He goes into the men's room by himself now. He knows to go to the bathroom and wait outside when he is done for the girls and I to get out. At stores and playgrounds it doesn't bother me so much, but at amusement parks and water parks it really stresses me out.

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:34 PM

my nephews are 11 and 9 too.  the only time we take them into the mens is if my dh is there to go with them.  they are both autistic (the 9 year old is the more extreme)  depending on the bathroom, we will sometimes let them go into the mens

Quoting DACIA79: It depends on the kid and location of the restroom. My kids are 11 and 9 and I take them in the ladles bathroom with me.

karlie2
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:53 PM
2 moms liked this
My eight year olds won't go into the ladies room anymore.
I stand outside the men's room and announce my presence so people know thry aren't alone.
Mandallyn
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:00 PM
I don't care. As long as there no peeking under the door or through the cracks it didn't bother me who is in the bathroom.
Liastele
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:10 PM
6 moms liked this

If young boys being safe with their mom in the restroom is too much for someone to handle, too bad. Not every store has a family restroom and sometimes boys just have to go! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN