Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

would you let your kid be friends with a smoker?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:45 PM
  • 141 Replies
I'm eighteen. I smoke (pot and cigarettes) and I've been a smoker for four years now.
Recently my friend's parents found out that I smoked pot. They knew that my friend and I smoked cigarettes and had no problem with that, but when it came to the pot, they freaked out completely and forbid her from seeing me ever again.
Now, I get where parents are coming from, they don't want their kid mixed up with the "wrong people", but it's not like I'm pressuring her to do anything. I mean, if she asked, I'd give it to her, but I wouldn't make her try it by force.
Would you let your kid be friends with someone who smokes or would you make them cut off all communication with that person?
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SpiritFortress
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:38 PM
22 moms liked this

As a parent of two grown children, I can say that any parent that thinks they have the power to control who their teenager spends time with is delusional. I would prefer my kids spend time with others who don't have habits I don't like but ultimately, they will choose whomever they do regardless of what I think. 

notjstanothrmom
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:41 PM
13 moms liked this

Pot smoking 18 year old teen mom, think about that for a second there now. Would you encourage your teenager to hang out with someone like that?

I am not judging you. I was a teen mom and I smoked my fair share of pot too... but no way would I be encouraging my child to hang out with a teen parent who hasn't got their stuff together and is smoking ciggarettes and pot. Nope. 

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I found out that the majority of our 15 year old daughter's friends smoke pot and have e~cigs when she asked me right before her bday party in June if her friends could smoke pot at her party. Because, you know, ALL their parents are okay with them smoking both.

O.o

Our 12 year old daughter can't be around cigarette or any kind of smoke like that with her A1AD, so I said no. Her friends have brought their e~cigs over before and have used them outside, but I said no to the pot smoking.

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:01 PM
2 moms liked this
If my kid is 18, I obviously can't control who he/she spends time with. But as a mom of young kids, I wouldn't let them go play over at someone's house if the mom or older kids smokes.
MaryanneMac
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:24 PM
6 moms liked this

My best friend started smoking at 10. She later moved on to "other things". My parents never had a problem with that. My parents rule was if your going to do something stupid do it in the house. So one night I asked her for a cigarette, which gave me. As soon as I started choking, My dad yelled downstairs, "Keep it down I'm watching the football game." I was like "thanks for your  concern Dad." His response, "Hey you chose to do something stupid, that's on you. Now hush the game is on."

That was the first and last time I smoked.  I think (at least for me) if the freaked out then I would have rebelled and did much worse then smoke. 

cc5112
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I would not approve of such a friendship. A teen pot and cig smoking mom? No. Smh....

Starlit_Eyes
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Yeah definitely. What parents have to realize is the best thing to do is to educate their children not by force. I'm a smoker myself and i don't want my kids smoke cigs but have no issue with them around people that smoke pot or other. I'ma toker so i can't tell them "Never do this" then go fire up.. doesn't work that way lol

Starlit_Eyes
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

CTFU!!!! your dads response has me dieing! that was the same way my mom raised me. If you're gonna be stupid do it at home where your safe instead of in the street

Quoting MaryanneMac:

My best friend started smoking at 10. She later moved on to "other things". My parents never had a problem with that. My parents rule was if your going to do something stupid do it in the house. So one night I asked her for a cigarette, which gave me. As soon as I started choking, My dad yelled downstairs, "Keep it down I'm watching the football game." I was like "thanks for your  concern Dad." His response, "Hey you chose to do something stupid, that's on you. Now hush the game is on."

That was the first and last time I smoked.  I think (at least for me) if the freaked out then I would have rebelled and did much worse then smoke. 

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 5:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm the same way with my kids.

Quoting MaryanneMac:

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jul. 31, 2014 at 7:29 AM

At 18, I can't control who my kids will be friends with because of their age. However because I have kids allergic to any kind of smoke, I would discourage it. I also think any kind of smoking, cigarettes, pipes, cigars,pot etc is bad for you.  Just my opinion and I would tell them they need to be aware of 2nd hand smoke and the like. I wouldn't forbid them, but yes I would caution them.  If they are living in my home, I would not want them bringing in the smell of cigarettes or pot into my home on their clothing.  I don't think at 18 I can forbit them but there would be rules about washing said clothes and belonging before brining it in. If an item could not be washed, they would have to leave it on the porch.  I prefer them not to hang out with someone that has habits like that but they are "adults" for all intents and purposes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN