Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Is this discriminating? Restaurant offers praying in public discount.

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM
  • 155 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you feel this is discriminatory?

Options:

No, I don't.

Yes I do.

Depends. Are the discounts only for Christian prayers?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 327

View Results

Updated: Friday, August 1 2014, 08:57 PM CDT
WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina -- A restaurant receipt in North Carolina is stirring up debate over the separation of church and state.

The diner offers a 15-percent discount to people who pray before their meals. The discount shows up on receipts as a "praying in public" discount.

A patron who received the discount posted his receipt on Facebook, and it's gone viral.

Some people praise the restaurant's decision while other say the practice is discriminatory.

Read more: http://bit.ly/WRPIFk
Photo: WHAT SAY YOU?  A restaurant in North Carolina is offering a 15-percent discount to people who pray before their meals, and it's stirring up some controversy.  IS GIVING A DISCOUNT to people who pray at restaurants discriminatory?
Read more: http://bit.ly/WRPIFk
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nancyrm
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:40 PM
20 moms liked this

Privately owned restaurant, they can do as they please. It doesn't say that it is only for Christian praying.  just public praying, I have no problem with it. just like I have no problem with  discounts for, well behaved children, or people in uniform.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:43 PM
2 moms liked this

I guess that's true. It would be a different story if they charged more for bratty kids or people not praying.

Quoting nancyrm:

Privately owned restaurant, they can do as they please. It doesn't say that it is only for Christian praying.  just public praying, I have no proble with it. just like I have no problem with  discounts for, well behaved children, or people in uniforms.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 1:04 AM
4 moms liked this

I am not religious and wouldn't benefit from a discount like this, but I see nothing wrong with it. This is their business and they can run it how they choose. This may help or hurt their business and it's their decision to make.

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 5:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I wonder which one of the over 2,000 gods claimed by man you have to pray to? 

I'll dazzle them with a prayer to The Dude, if it will save me that much. LOL

Marie207
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:36 AM

No it is not.  Good for the restaraunt to get people to bless there food.  That is not praying, it is blessing your food.

cc5112
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:11 AM

I don't think it's discriminatory. It's a private business, not a gov't funded facility. I think it's no more gimmicky than the blueplate specials or happy hour other places offer to get customers to eat there.

15% is a pretty good deal. You end up breaking even if you tip 15% for lunch.  :)

momto3kidz1966
by New Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:13 AM

looks photo-shopped 

cupcake_mom
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM
I think it is. We are not religious and therefore don't pray to anything at all and I don't think I should be denied a discount for my beliefs.
downeastmamax2
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Very good point - which I would definitely agree with!

Quoting nancyrm:

Privately owned restaurant, they can do as they please. It doesn't say that it is only for Christian praying.  just public praying, I have no proble with it. just like I have no problem with  discounts for, well behaved children, or people in uniforms.

poietes
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:43 AM
9 moms liked this
The owner has stated that it is completely at the servers discretion wether or not they give the discount. They also said it doesn't matter who you are praying to, even if you don't pray and just take a quiet moment to relax before eating. So no I don't find it discriminatory. Especially not any more so than the senior citizen discount, ladies night at a bar, discounts for vets, police or fire fighters, or the well behaved child discount.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN