Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

This VS That

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:41 AM
  • 11 Replies

I have heard a lot of people state "I am spiritual but not religious..."  Could any one explain to me exactly what that means?

I am not looking to start a fight or WWIII, but would be interested to hear what you have to say....

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
downeastmamax2
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Any one out there that have an opinion one way or the other??

I swear I have gone invisible - very few people responding to my posts! 

TigressLily
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Religious doesn't always mean that you're saved and trying to be spiritual and living for God {IMHO}. To me, being religious means you follow a tradition, a certain set order of a way of life, but you aren't truly into what you are supposed to believe, and most of the time, you don't live your life the way you act in Church, you're a completely different person in and out of Church. If you are a spiritual person, you are more inclined to "follow the rules" outside of Church just as much as inside it.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Aug. 5, 2014 at 5:42 PM

religious meaning they follow a denomination and spiritual meaning they believe in a higher power and set their own tradition

Thats my take on it

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 1:37 AM

Some people believe in a higher power, but not necessarily a specific God. Some people take parts from different religions  and make them their own values and beliefs without going to the place of worship.

cc5112
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I've had people say that to me as well.  I just figured they were not following a specific religious practice, but still believed in a higher being(s) and tried to live a life set by their own interpretation of values and beliefs.

I also think that some people just don't necessarily think they're atheists or agnostic, but don't believe in a particular set of religious traditions and/or practices and feel a connection to an energy outside of themselves. 

I guess being spiritual has a very wide/inclusive interpretation. 

Sigmalade
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Religion can be the routine or doctrine you follow. Spiritual belief is harder to define. It is more like being guided by principles and feelings and spirituals beliefs revealed to you from your higher being. 

nayeli.c
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I say that all the time. I don't follow any established religion, but I do believe their are gods and goddesses (why just one?). I feel a spiritual connection, but I'm not constrained by religions taught and "corrupted" by other men (or women).

lancet98
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

It totally depends on who you are talking to.

Some people say this because they think the Christian Church has gotten too far away from the Bible on specific doctrinal issues.  As my mom used to say, 'No church is good enough for them'.   These people are indeed Christian, indeed very devout, and generally their disagreement is that the church doesn't follow the Bible closely enough.   It might be one specific doctrinal point or it may be a more general disagreement.

For others, they were raised in some organized religion(usually Christianity), but they adopted some type of new-age belief, or mixture of new-age beliefs.   It's very common to refer to that as being 'spiritual, but not religious'.   In other words, 'religious' means some mainstream religious organization, usually the Christian church.

The second group is usually referring to a more personal relationship with a higher power; the 'organization' not getting in the way.

Quoting downeastmamax2:

I have heard a lot of people state "I am spiritual but not religious..."  Could any one explain to me exactly what that means?

I am not looking to start a fight or WWIII, but would be interested to hear what you have to say....

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:21 PM
I consider myself more spiritual than religious.
I believe in God and pray. But I don't attend church, or follow a church.
I try to live a good life, meaning I try to he honest, thoughtful of others, forgiving, living...kwim?
Did that help?
PumpkinSpice8
by New Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:26 PM
I'm not religious per say, but some would say I'm spiritual.

I don't believe in Jesus and walking on water and everything else the bible talks about. It's all fairy tales to me.

BUT I believe there's a greater power in the world beyond humans. You could call it a God, but it's not in human form. It's just something... Greater. Like Mother Nature.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)