Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Apple "customer service"---NOT!!!! **update page 2**

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:29 PM
  • 23 Replies

My ods has a Macbook pro..bought it 2 yrs ago. Last week the hard-drive died. So the Geek Squad tech told him when they pulled it out, "huh, can't believe Apple uses Toshiba hard drives, they're kinda crappy"

So ods and I now feel like hmmm...maybe we should have had something better? 

Call Apple, 1st "customer svc" rep, I explain the story and when we bought the Mac, about there being an Apple rep in Best Buy and how the rep said Geek squad protection was akin to AppleCare. I asked for $70 for the hard drive and anoterh $70 for the CD drive that's been broken for a year.

Her stand was this: Apple doesn't reimburse, and furthermore, Apple doesn't put reps in Best Buys AAANNNNDDD Geek squad isn't authorized to work on Apple products. After going in the endless "yes you do" "no we don't" circle, I requested a supervisor. 

So the supervisor says, when I tell him the name of the current Apple rep in the BB store...'oh sure we have reps in BB's...and the Geeks are authorized to work on Apple products." Never got an answer to 'why did the previous csr deny, deny, deny?"

The supervisor csr says "we don't put Toshiba hard drived in our products." 

---'um..ya you do, it's what was yanked outta my son's laptop"

"no ma'am we don't, absolutely not. BB sold you a computer that had the hard drive replaced, and they packaged it up as a new one"

---um..you're accusing BB of baiting and switching

--"we never use Toshiba hard drives in our computers. they sold you a computer that was broken, fixed with another hard drive as a new computer. Additionally ma'am, I personally got a client a new iPad, because BB sold them a refurbished one as new just last week. I see this all the time with them.'

So he's currently researching it for me. In the mean time, I called BB and to pick up the paperwork that says what hard drive was taken out of his Mac. 

Guess what it says? Toshiba...and at the bottom?? an Apple logo with a barcode.

Guess who called BB corporate and reported to them that Apple isn't standing by it's product AND they're accusing them of consumer fraud?

He's researching that too...

I am SHOCKED!!!

by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

wow, that's crazy. On another note though I don't trust BB geek squad

cc5112
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Wow, that's crazy! I've never bought Apple products from anywhere other than an Apple store. I've had nothing but great service with them and we've been to stores in LA, San Diego, NYC, and now in Boston. Additionally, we've received wonderful service and tech support through apple over the phone.

I hope your issue gets resolved and the macbook pro is fixed.  

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:04 PM
It's fixed. I didn't know it was common practice for Apple to put Toshiba hard drives in the macs. That's why I called Apple, to complain. They're denying they use them! That's what so frustrating.

Quoting cc5112:

Wow, that's crazy! I've never bought Apple products from anywhere other than an Apple store. I've had nothing but great service with them and we've been to stores in LA, San Diego, NYC, and now in Boston. Additionally, we've received wonderful service and tech support through apple over the phone.

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:09 PM
Someone's trying to sell me beachfront property in Nevada.
There's an computer place behind my ods' apt. They're authorized Apple repair. They told my ods that It is common practice for Apple to use Toshiba. So why deny? So far BB has been FAR more helpful then Apple.

Quoting hayliedlr:

wow, that's crazy. On another note though I don't trust BB geek squad

cc5112
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Apple does not manufacture hard drives. I've read that in the past, around 2011, they used toshiba parts for the hard drive. I think they still do. Windows or PC also uses toshiba for their hard drives. They manufacture quite a bit of hardware parts  for many pcs, ipads ( including retina display technology in iPads). That the tech made that off handed comment about Toshiba is silly/stupid and mislead you to think you had a subpar hard drive, and putting you in this position to complaining.

The annoying part is that the applecare reps were not aware that apple used or still uses toshiba parts. The important thing is that it was fixed. :)

Quoting 143myboys9496: It's fixed. I didn't know it was common practice for Apple to put Toshiba hard drives in the macs. That's why I called Apple, to complain. They're denying they use them! That's what so frustrating.
Quoting cc5112:

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:31 PM
How can an Apple csr not know? Or deny and accuse without researching?
I've learned NOW, that when it comes to hard drives it's "too bad, so sad".

Quoting cc5112:

Apple does not manufacture hard drives. I've read that in the past, around 2011, they used toshiba parts for the hard drive. I think they still do. Windows or PC also uses toshiba for their hard drives. They manufacture quite a bit of hardware parts  for many pcs, ipads ( including retina display technology in iPads). That the tech made that off handed comment about Toshiba is silly/stupid and mislead you to think you had a subpar hard drive, and putting you in this position to complaining.

The annoying part is that the applecare reps were not aware that apple used or still uses toshiba parts. The important thing is that it was fixed. :)

Quoting 143myboys9496: It's fixed. I didn't know it was common practice for Apple to put Toshiba hard drives in the macs. That's why I called Apple, to complain. They're denying they use them! That's what so frustrating.

Quoting cc5112:

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:56 PM
I am even more glad that we don't own any Apple products now.

I'm sorry you are getting such a run around.
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry you're having a hard time with it. It's so annoying when you get conflicting information and no one is on the same page. I have learned to only get Apple products from the Apple store.
mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 5:35 AM

Wow..what a hassle. 

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Aug. 7, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Thanks for the feature CM!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)