Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

How does it make sense?

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:14 AM
  • 23 Replies
On the news this morning they were talking about the young man in St.Louis that was shot and killed by the police. Yesterday people were protesting his death. They broke into several businesses and store items and damaged several co cars. How does stealing from local businesses do anything but cause more problems?
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:14 AM
Sorry I can't post a link I'm mobile
squeekers
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:17 AM
Riots don't think. The mob mentality just feeds on violence. Heck just look at the mobs in the middle east, no rhyme or reason there either, just violence.
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:18 AM
I've read a lot of stories lately about people that are being killed by the police. I think it's an issue that needs to be addressed.
However, what happened in Missouri isn't going to do anything but make the problem worse. Local businesses have been damaged and robbed even though they had nothing to do with the problem. They're are ways to get results and work towards fixing the problem and this isn't it.
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this
That's true. It's just appalling to see the videos. Imo it makes the problem worse, not better.

Quoting squeekers: Riots don't think. The mob mentality just feeds on violence. Heck just look at the mobs in the middle east, no rhyme or reason there either, just violence.
Thelmama
by Thelma on Aug. 11, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I was thinking the same thing. I understand they are upset and understandably so, but looting, rioting and burning buildings only puts them in a bad light.  It proves or shows nothing but a propsensity of violence. One report said the policeman and the man wrestled in the car for the officer's gun and then the man ran and then got shot while he was unarmed. So the whole story, what is the whole story. Not that an unarmed man should be shot to death.  But their reaction at what was supposed to be a peaceful candle light vigil makes no sense.

I too have seen stories of cops shooting or killing people when unarmed. I don't know what to believe any more because often the true story is far different than what is reported. Their are three sides to every story,  person 1, person 2 and the truth.  

These riots did nothing to help those protesting and trying to raise awareness to wrongful death.

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:19 PM

It becomes a 'mob mentality'..meaning that someone breaks a window, 2 or 3 stream in and steal something next thing you know..windows are being broken up and down the block and people are walking away with TV's, microwaves, anything they can carry. 

They think they're "getting back" but they're not, they're hurting another innocent person. The current...thought process of the police is something my boys are all over as far a news goes. It's sad, because for every great cop that doesn't abuse his power, you hear about 3 that have. I found this video addressing just that issue:

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree that there's always three sides to a story. I don't think all the facts have come out yet. If he did try to grab the gun the cop probably shot based on adrenaline without even thinking about it. Not justifying what he did, but I bet that's what will be said.

I said the same thing about the behavior of people at the protest. It shows the people in that city in a negative light and makes you question the behavior of the man that was killed. These people hurt local businessmen, not the cops. They have done nothing but show themselves in a negative light.

Quoting Thelmama:

I was thinking the same thing. I understand they are upset and understandably so, but looting, rioting and burning buildings only puts them in a bad light.  It proves or shows nothing but a propsensity of violence. One report said the policeman and the man wrestled in the car for the officer's gun and then the man ran and then got shot while he was unarmed. So the whole story, what is the whole story. Not that an unarmed man should be shot to death.  But their reaction at what was supposed to be a peaceful candle light vigil makes no sense.

I too have seen stories of cops shooting or killing people when unarmed. I don't know what to believe any more because often the true story is far different than what is reported. Their are three sides to every story,  person 1, person 2 and the truth.  

These riots did nothing to help those protesting and trying to raise awareness to wrongful death.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:27 PM

The video is disturbing. To think that police abuse happens so frequently is scary. There truly are some great cops out there, but you never really hear about them. Plus the negative stories have a much greater impact.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

It becomes a 'mob mentality'..meaning that someone breaks a window, 2 or 3 stream in and steal something next thing you know..windows are being broken up and down the block and people are walking away with TV's, microwaves, anything they can carry. 

They think they're "getting back" but they're not, they're hurting another innocent person. The current...thought process of the police is something my boys are all over as far a news goes. It's sad, because for every great cop that doesn't abuse his power, you hear about 3 that have. I found this video addressing just that issue:

EireLass
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:56 PM
Lunatics.
Thieves, using the shooting as an excuse.
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

It is distrubing. It's like the saying goes "one bad apple spoils the bunch". Compared to good cops I'd think (well like to) that this is a small number that gets an overabundance of media attention.

Quoting cjsmom1:

The video is disturbing. To think that police abuse happens so frequently is scary. There truly are some great cops out there, but you never really hear about them. Plus the negative stories have a much greater impact.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN