Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Would you tell your young child where his meat came from?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:56 PM
  • 64 Replies

Just curious..

I'm vegan.

My DH does not eat animal products at home but he does at work.

my kids do not drink cows milk or eat cheese or eggs (allergies) and they have very little meat.  Most weeks they go without eating meat at all. 

So i was chatting with my 5 year old son and he knows I'm Vegan and knows what it means too (he associates me to a herbivore dinosaur lol).  He asked me about his hot dogs and chicken nuggets and i told him that his hot dog use to be a cow and his chicken nuggets came from a chicken.  So he had a lot of questions as to why they kill animals and so on. 

After about 30 minutes of our conversation, i'm pretty sure he will never touch meat again (or at least not any time soon).

I am not one who would push veganism on anyone and i let everyone decide their own path. But if someone asks me questions, i will answer them truthfully and with as much knowledge as possible.

So would you tell your young kids where meat comes from?  Do you think they would not eat it anymore if they knew the truth?

BTW - I've been a vegetarian for most of my life and became a vegan this year to see if my migraine headaches go away.. so going vegan was mainly for health reasons but it turned ethical after doing some research.

by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GodsAmiga
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I told them and they swore they wouldn't eat any more meat. That lasted until lunch time. Lol! When their dad is gone we eat hardly any meat but when he is here he wants meat all the time. 

EireLass
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:06 PM
2 moms liked this
I wouldnt have the slightest idea what to tell someone where hoteogs or chicken nuggets come from......but yes, my young kids have seen a bull killed, slaughtered for meat. We also raised chickens and turkeys, goat and cow. Now the kids are adults, but we have chickens and ducks. Theyve never been bothered by it. They understood the circle of life.
magdusia
by New Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Quoting GodsAmiga:

I told them and they swore they wouldn't eat any more meat. That lasted until lunch time. Lol! When their dad is gone we eat hardly any meat but when he is here he wants meat all the time. 

lol.. with my youngest, i could see that happening. but this one, not so much.  I'm pretty sure he's going to stick.  I can't say i'm not happy about it :)

magdusia
by New Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Quoting EireLass: I wouldnt have the slightest idea what to tell someone where hoteogs or chicken nuggets come from......but yes, my young kids have seen a bull killed, slaughtered for meat. We also raised chickens and turkeys, goat and cow. Now the kids are adults, but we have chickens and ducks. Theyve never been bothered by it. They understood the circle of life.

I don't consider it "circle of life" but rather what we were taught and what our parents were taught and what our grandparents were taught.  But this is why i try not to preach to friends and family because if you are told something all your life, it's pretty hard making a point.

You just make me wonder something.. I wonder if they still teach that in school and i wonder how other vegan parents feel about that.  I clearly remember learning this in school and never agued it because i didn't udnerstand why i didn't like meat.

southernwldchld
by New Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I've told them. I grew up with nearly all our meat coming from either family livestock or hunting/fishing. 

southernwldchld
by New Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:26 PM

They teach food chains, because that is how it is in the animal kingdom. I don't remember ever being expressly taught that humans consume animals, nor is that in my children's lessons. They are taught about humans being at the top of their particular food chain, and presented as omnivores because that is the closest approximation that fits our biology.

I've never had an issue with it. My neice is being raised vegan and I have no problem making sure what I give her fits that. I just personally don't ascribe to it. Although, I take that back the only issue I've ever had is people who put their dogs on vegan diets. That bothers me a lot.

Quoting magdusia:

Quoting EireLass: I wouldnt have the slightest idea what to tell someone where hoteogs or chicken nuggets come from......but yes, my young kids have seen a bull killed, slaughtered for meat. We also raised chickens and turkeys, goat and cow. Now the kids are adults, but we have chickens and ducks. Theyve never been bothered by it. They understood the circle of life.

I don't consider it "circle of life" but rather what we were taught and what our parents were taught and what our grandparents were taught.  But this is why i try not to preach to friends and family because if you are told something all your life, it's pretty hard making a point.

You just make me wonder something.. I wonder if they still teach that in school and i wonder how other vegan parents feel about that.  I clearly remember learning this in school and never agued it because i didn't udnerstand why i didn't like meat.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:26 AM

I answer any question our kids have with total honesty.  That question has popped up.  I've told them where the meat they eat comes from.  We are still carnivores in this house.  Although, the kids and I like meat only sometimes, my husband could eat it every day and not get tired of it.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:48 AM

I have told him before

EireLass
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:20 AM
My kids werent taught any of this in school. But for our family lifestyle, it is the circle of life. We only have these animals to serve us. We dont give animals a free ride. Same with dogs. Although we dont eat them, we chose specific breeds to serve us, not be couch potatoes.
Quoting magdusia:

EireLass
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Dogs on vegan diets is pretty crazy. Same with eggs sold in the store labeled as only being fed a vegen diet. Really? Chickens are not vegetarians, and theyre advertising that they keep their chickens in cages off the ground.
Quoting southernwldchld:

They teach food chains, because that is how it is in the animal kingdom. I don't remember ever being expressly taught that humans consume animals, nor is that in my children's lessons. They are taught about humans being at the top of their particular food chain, and presented as omnivores because that is the closest approximation that fits our biology.

I've never had an issue with it. My neice is being raised vegan and I have no problem making sure what I give her fits that. I just personally don't ascribe to it. Although, I take that back the only issue I've ever had is people who put their dogs on vegan diets. That bothers me a lot.

Quoting magdusia:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)