Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Would you tell your young child where his meat came from?

Posted by   + Show Post

Just curious..

I'm vegan.

My DH does not eat animal products at home but he does at work.

my kids do not drink cows milk or eat cheese or eggs (allergies) and they have very little meat.  Most weeks they go without eating meat at all. 

So i was chatting with my 5 year old son and he knows I'm Vegan and knows what it means too (he associates me to a herbivore dinosaur lol).  He asked me about his hot dogs and chicken nuggets and i told him that his hot dog use to be a cow and his chicken nuggets came from a chicken.  So he had a lot of questions as to why they kill animals and so on. 

After about 30 minutes of our conversation, i'm pretty sure he will never touch meat again (or at least not any time soon).

I am not one who would push veganism on anyone and i let everyone decide their own path. But if someone asks me questions, i will answer them truthfully and with as much knowledge as possible.

So would you tell your young kids where meat comes from?  Do you think they would not eat it anymore if they knew the truth?

BTW - I've been a vegetarian for most of my life and became a vegan this year to see if my migraine headaches go away.. so going vegan was mainly for health reasons but it turned ethical after doing some research.

by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:56 PM
Replies (61-64):
Willow_Phoenix
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 1:24 AM

My kids are fine with eating meat and yes, they know where it all comes from.

The cow we eat comes from a local organic small family run farm. We buy half a cow from them 1-2 times a year. I'm working on finding a small organic farm to buy chickens and pork from so we can make our own hot dogs and sausages.

DrunkenFaeGirl
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 1:25 AM

My husband and I take the approach that if our daughter asks questions, unless they are far too adult a concept for her, we'll answer as honestly as possible and if a decision of her own beliefs, such as is the case with eating meat or even religion, we'll let her do that .  She asked me - while we were out at an Asian restaurant - about meat.  I told her that animals have to be killed for us to eat it including her scrimp and crab sushi.  She was disgusted and swore off meat.  That lasted about a week and she went right back to eating it.  Apparently, sushi is worth the guilt ;)

PoplarGrove
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 1:31 AM

My kids know exactly where there meat comes from.  My second cousin raises animals for food and we get our meat from him.  They've been to his farm and know that the cows, pigs, goats, chickens and ducks he has are what they will eventually eat.  

Bellarose0212
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 4:27 AM
1 mom liked this

We're vegetarian.

Mostly vegan, but not completely.

My 5-year-old knows, yeah. She asked, I answered. 

I went vegetarian at her age. I'll respect her decision at any age if she decides to eat meat, but as of now, she seems pretty convicted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)