Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

wracking my brain

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:35 AM
  • 17 Replies

dh's pay got cut..he gets paid every 2 weeks. The cut works out to be about $500 every 2 weeks. We're refinancing the house, which saved us $500..I'm trying to think of other ways to cut our expenses.

I've locked in the cable bill for 2 years. 

Can't do anything with cell phone bill..(unfortunately)..except dh and I are not going to upgrade come October.

Calling insurance agent about increasing deductible, and what affect that would have on the total bill. 

Sounds silly but I got Walmart's savings catcher app..

My yds is starting college in the fall, we need to get him a car. Dh wants to lease, I want to buy certified pre-owned (comes with warrenty)... Ods, isn't working, going to college, graduating in June 2015. He needs to 'go over' on his classes for at least 1 quarter, and do an internship. (dh and I are actually in agreement for him not to work and when he's ready he'll apply for a sitter job at the hospital where I work, it's a per diem job)

Dh coupons, but not like the extreme couponers. We're hitting sales and cherry picking grocery store ads. And we've decided that when meats are on sale to 'stock up'..

any other thoughts?

by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:40 AM

why does the YDS need a car? My kids went to college without them .

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:43 AM

He's commuting. Plus he's got a job. I had to leave early 1 time because of his schedule. (it was the end of my 1st shift back from vacation) My boss never says anything to me, she asked "How often will this happen?"

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

lucky2Beeme
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Quoting 143myboys9496:

He's commuting. Plus he's got a job. I had to leave early 1 time because of his schedule. (it was the end of my 1st shift back from vacation) My boss never says anything to me, she asked "How often will this happen?"

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Gotcha . Lease payment is usually less then a good used car loan. Good luck.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I hear you. I'm also going to ask the agent when I call which is more to insure a new lease or a used car. Seems like a no brainer to me, but dh and I are disagreeing on this one. lol

lucky2Beeme
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I hear you. I'm also going to ask the agent when I call which is more to insure a new lease or a used car. Seems like a no brainer to me, but dh and I are disagreeing on this one. lol

Not sure if you know this . When our kids started driving we got a 3rd car. DHs name was on bill of sale. When we added  oldest to drive , it was cheaper because it was DHs car. I think because he was on our policy. Not sure if I'm explaining this right.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Not sure if you know this . When our kids started driving we got a 3rd car. DHs name was on bill of sale. When we added  oldest to drive , it was cheaper because it was DHs car. I think because he was on our policy. Not sure if I'm explaining this right.

The car will be registered in either my or my dh's name. Because it'll be cheaper than putting it in my 18yo's name.

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Aug. 17, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Thank you for the feature CM!

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Stocking up when things go on sale is a huge help with the food budget.

Hiker11
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:18 PM
I wouldn't discount not being able to save on the cell phone. My friend went to her carrier last week. She walked in with a $230 a month cell phone bill and walked out with a new iPhone 5 and $160 a month bill. She
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:24 PM
Depending on your cell phone company you might be surprised. Now they offer discounts if you aren't under contract for staying with them. Our bill went down $50 a month and hubby upgraded to a smart phone. And you can shop around with different companies for insurance. The price difference for the same coverage can be huge. Buy stuff that won't go bad soon in bulk when it's on sale cheap.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN