Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Why is it called a hamburger?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 2:28 PM
  • 31 Replies

"If it's not ham?"

My 7 year old asked this the other day. He wanted to know why it's called a hamburger, since it's not from a pig it's not ham, it's beef since it's from a cow. So why isn't it a beef burger?

by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Aug. 17, 2014 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I've always wondered that too!  It definitely should be called a "BeefBurger".  Or at the very least, just a "Burger". 

MommyOfOne2710
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I've always wondered the same thing.
SuckIt69
by New Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I think because they trace its creation to Hamburg, Germany. Where they believe the first meat was put between two slices of bread.

ETA: Where they believe meat was placed in between two slices of bread for the first time.

(Didn't like my original wording)
jadedcynic
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 3:58 PM
4 moms liked this

It is called a hamburger because it was originally called a Hamburg or Hamburger steak after the city in Germany. Otto Kuase, the founder of White Castle was from Hamburg and brought popularity to them.

It's like how hot dogs are also called Frankfurters (Frankfurt) or Weiners (misspelling of Vienner).

elkmomma
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL gotta love critical thinking in a small child.  They can come up with some of the best questions.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Good question

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:34 PM
They really can.

Quoting elkmomma:

LOL gotta love critical thinking in a small child.  They can come up with some of the best questions.

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 5:49 AM

Hamburg, Germany.

StreetsAhead
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 6:35 AM
Wiener isn't a misspelling it is German.
In Austria a Wienerli (what you are calling a Wiener sausage) is called a Frankfurter

Quoting jadedcynic:

It is called a hamburger because it was originally called a Hamburg or Hamburger steak after the city in Germany. Otto Kuase, the founder of White Castle was from Hamburg and brought popularity to them.

It's like how hot dogs are also called Frankfurters (Frankfurt) or Weiners (misspelling of Vienner).

LadyMarissa
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 7:47 AM

The very first burger was made in Hamburg Germany and became known locally as the hamburger.  As the delicacy spread, the name stuck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN