Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Have you done it (piog)

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:25 PM
  • 77 Replies

The ice bucket challenge? That's when someone challenges you to dump a bucket of ice water on yourself and then you challenge some other people. It's being done as a fundraising effort for ALS, at least right now that's what they're doing. The way it's supposed to be done is if someone challenges you you have to do it or donate money to ALS. A lot of people are doing both. It's all over my fb page right now

by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I swore I wasn't going to do it because who wants to dump ice water on themselves. Well my coworker challenged me and two other people and said if we did it she's also donate  $20 for each of us that did it. So I ended up doing it.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM
2 moms liked this
No. It doesn't do anything to raise awareness. Just donate money and move on.
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Aug. 17, 2014 at 9:16 PM

It's supposed to be a $10 donation WITH doing the challenge. $100 if you're called out and don't do it. 

Several people in my family have done it. And several I work with. They're really awesome to watch.

EireLass
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 9:49 PM
Its all over my page as well. Nah, im sure nobody will challange me.
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:54 PM

I should add that ds did it with me

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:55 PM

I didn't know about the amounts. They are pretty funny to watch

Quoting 143myboys9496:

It's supposed to be a $10 donation WITH doing the challenge. $100 if you're called out and don't do it. 

Several people in my family have done it. And several I work with. They're really awesome to watch.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it does raise awareness. I'm sure the number of people searching ALS has gone up since this challenge began. And I'm sure more people have visited the website to get information about where the donations go.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2: No. It doesn't do anything to raise awareness. Just donate money and move on.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:56 PM

I thought the same thing

Quoting EireLass: Its all over my page as well. Nah, im sure nobody will challange me.

anon1986East
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 2:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, my husband did it after his mom challenged him and he challenged my sister and I to do it. My sister and I did it together, and let our kids be the ones who dumped the buckets. I think it's been one of the most effective ways to raise awareness and donations. One of our local news channels did it, the employees (anchors, directors, producers, etc) did it on air and would challenge another employee. I've enjoyed watching some of the celebrity videos that have been posted on FB.  

ilovemykids732
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 3:01 AM

This is what my facebook status was the other day...

You guys DO realize that by dumping ice on yourselves that you are doing NOTHING other than doing just that right? you are simply dumping ice on yourselves... you are helping support the ice companies... NOT ALS... donate the money you are using to buy the ice to donate money to that cause... *smh* really people...? Post links about ALS if you want to raise awareness... duh

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2: No. It doesn't do anything to raise awareness. Just donate money and move on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)