Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

teacher assistance

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 7:21 AM
  • 24 Replies
please explain to me what a teacher assistant does in your own words
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 7:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Aug. 18, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I would think she/he literally assists the teacher. Maybe helping students that need a bit of extra help, passing out papers, keeping the kids in line..helping prepare assignments. 

I would think most everything the teacher does short of lesson plans, and grading. (?)

Sometimes teacher assistants are put in a special needs classroom as well. 

Or maybe the student/teacher ratio is rather high.(?)

Thelmama
by Thelma on Aug. 18, 2014 at 7:23 PM

This

Quoting 143myboys9496:

I would think she/he literally assists the teacher. Maybe helping students that need a bit of extra help, passing out papers, keeping the kids in line..helping prepare assignments. 

I would think most everything the teacher does short of lesson plans, and grading. (?)

cecily727
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Teacher's assistants do sooo much!!! They work with small groups of children, kids who need a little more attention, they take kids to work with one on one, they deal with classroom organization, behavioral supports, they do lunch/cafeteria duty, they nurture kids, they do copying, they provide input to lesson planning since any of them have excellent ideas and a lot of common sense.  They fill kids folders with all the papers that go home, and more.  Special education classes have assistants and would not really survive without them.  Many times a general education class with kids with varying degrees of special education needs have them in there as well.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Just like the title says thet assist the teacher. they help with teaching smaller groups of students or keep an eye out on the class while the teacher works with individuals that need additional help.

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 7:29 AM

This

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Lax5
by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 7:38 AM
This is exactly right. They also step into the teacher role when the teacher is absent.

Quoting cecily727:

Teacher's assistants do sooo much!!! They work with small groups of children, kids who need a little more attention, they take kids to work with one on one, they deal with classroom organization, behavioral supports, they do lunch/cafeteria duty, they nurture kids, they do copying, they provide input to lesson planning since any of them have excellent ideas and a lot of common sense.  They fill kids folders with all the papers that go home, and more.  Special education classes have assistants and would not really survive without them.  Many times a general education class with kids with varying degrees of special education needs have them in there as well.

Sportbominable
by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 5:59 PM

This is not true in any of the surrounding counties I work in. I am a teacher, but for now I only substitute. Most of the assistant teachers do not even have a degree let alone a teaching degree. If they happen to have a teaching degree, a sub is still called in. 

Quoting Lax5: This is exactly right. They also step into the teacher role when the teacher is absent.
Quoting cecily727:

littlelamb303
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:06 PM

I was one in college and when I taught K I also had one.  They assist with everything the teacher does.  I used to take a group of children and do an art or ELA lesson with them.  My assistant would actually do some teaching because she was a certified teacher, and I would give her groups of kids for reading or math.   During  whole group lessons, she would walk around and make sure the kids were on task etc.  She would also give extra help to kids that needed it.   When I was one, I would also clean the classroom and my assistant would do that as well.  It is a very busy job and honestly, most teachers would love to have one.

littlelamb303
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:10 PM

I am on Long Island and years ago you did not have to be a certified teacher to be a TA.  Now you do have to be a certified teacher(at least in public schools)  Teaching jobs are not readily available here, so they are very picky with their hiring.  Assistants here , in public school, make 40 k a year and up.  Teachers make a lot more than that.  All substitute teachers must be certified teachers as well.  Things have changed a lot.  I used to be a TA in private school back in the 80s before I became a teacher.   I used to sub for the class even w/out my degree back then.

Quoting Sportbominable:

This is not true in any of the surrounding counties I work in. I am a teacher, but for now I only substitute. Most of the assistant teachers do not even have a degree let alone a teaching degree. If they happen to have a teaching degree, a sub is still called in. 

Quoting Lax5: This is exactly right. They also step into the teacher role when the teacher is absent.
Quoting cecily727:

poppys_mommy
by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:29 PM

I would think they'd help with supporting the classroom.: helping small groups of kids, copying or organizing paperwork, grading some work, maybe adding input into lesson plans (though likely not credentialed or completed teacher training, might have great ideas and know the kids well), helping set-up or clean-up activities, helping with supervision, etc.  

I've never had an assistant in any of my classes but it seems like it'd be an incredible help to the teacher and wonderful support to the class.  That'd free the teacher to plan and impliment more elaborate and incredible lessons for the class, or be able to work with an individual / small group while another adult pair of eyes is still in the rest of the class.  It'd also probably retain good teachers who, without an assistant, find themselves working 70-90+ hrs per week and decide to leave the profession after a few years.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)