Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

End of Summer Fun Challenge Day 3: Tie Dye Time!

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:15 PM
  • 62 Replies

Have you ever tie dyed clothing with your kids? It's a lot of fun and isn't too much work. You can buy plain white t-shirts, onesies, or give new life to shirts they already have. You can also use old handkerchiefs, socks, or dad's old shirts.

There are all kinds of ways to tie dye -- colors, designs, techniques, but we'll start with the basic way.

What you'll need:

• Shirts/socks/bandannas to tie dye
  • Dye - RIT or another brand
  • Rubber Bands or String to create design
  • Tubs to put dye in (some people also use spray bottles)
  • Paper Towels for Clean Up
  • Rubber Gloves

Here's how to get started:

1. Choose your colors and dye. Follow the instructions on the packaging to mix up your colors. If you're using multiple colors, start dying with the lightest color.
  2. Add rubber bands or ties around the shirt to create designs. You can keep it simple by just adding a few randomly, or attempt designs.
  3. Put whatever you're dying into the tub of dye (or squeeze the dye onto the shirt if you're using bottles) for about five minutes and stir occasionally, removing when the color is just a bit darker than you'd like it to be.
  4. Rinse the shirt and move on to the next color. If it's your first time using tie dye, you might want to have each child pick just one color.
  5. Once you've added all the colors, rinse the shirt in cool water until it's running clear.
  6. Remove the rubber bands or ties and check out your masterpiece!

Have you ever done a tie dye project with your kids? Does your baby have any tie dyed items? How often do you do craft projects with your kids?

Join our End of Summer Fun Challenge!

Each mom who participates in all 5 days of the challenge will be entered to win a $25 Walmart gift card!

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poeticsong725
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Not with my daughter - she's too young to be using that stuff yet.

But I did it when I was a kid, as a girl scout.

I have one tie-dyed onesie but she already outgrew it.

She's not really old enough to craft yet.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:30 PM
We did tie dye at the beginning of the summer. We did tshirts and little towels.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caidysmom
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:35 PM
We haven't done tie dye as a family.
Dd1 has done it at VBS.
We do many crafts, pic frames, make our own play doh etc.
my kids love that kind of stuff :)
mollymcleod
by New Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:36 PM
We've never done this before but since we are homeschooling this is a good craft for us to try.
melindabelcher
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM

We were just talking about tie dye! 

I have some nb prefolds i'm considering tie dye for. 

downeastmamax2
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:41 PM

We are actually doing a Tye Die Party to celebrate the unofficial end of summer on Friday since our kiddos start back to school the Tuesday after Labor Day.  Will make sure to post pics for you!

Kathy112761
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Yes, I have done tie dyed with the kids. And they turned out so cute. And I have always done many crafts with the kids since they were small. Now that they are older not as much especially since 2 of them live in AZ now most of the year. But our oldest is still here and we still do things together once in awhile.

LaniBee
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:14 PM

We have done this throughout the years. Usually T-shirts.

Juniper53098
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I've never tie dyed.  I'm really not a fan of the look.

littlemoments99
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:48 PM

I haven't done a tie dye project with my son, but we probably will when he is much older. Right now he is just too small. I have tie dyed once at a friend's party. It was fun.   :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)