Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Cheap and Easy Dinner Ideas...

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:25 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this
We need more dinner ideas, please. We have about 15 tried and true kid and adult pleasing dinners, but we need...and crave...more. None of us have any food allergies.

I'll look around for similar posts, but asking around other groups is hard for me. Other groups have ladies that immediately assume when you ask for ideas that you are on food stamps and are sucking the taxpayers dry, then your innocent post turns into a real headache.

I don't need a headache today, and The Lounge/you ladies are like family to me. I trust your opinions and ideas. Thanks! :)
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Aug. 22, 2014 at 6:28 PM

potato soup is a fave around here but too hot to make and eat it :(

pork chops with sauteed onions and green bell peppers, with any kind of potatoe and maybe steamed green beans.

any recipe in the crock pot like maybe Spanish rice.

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Pot roast in the crock pot. Spaghetti and meatballs. If you make enough meatballs you can have subs with them later on. You can freeze extra sauce (with or without meatballs) for another pasta dinner. Lasanga is another meal you can eat more than once.

Macaroni and cheese. Burritos, enchaladas. If you cook a big chicken or a turkey you can make turkey or chicken pie with the leftovers.

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 6:04 AM

Chinese buffet food!

Buy your fav flavor of sauce. Dice up chicken or chops and fry it with some of the sauce. Throw in some green beans and put it over rice. Use your imagination, you cant mess it up. lol

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 6:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Chili, cheesy chicken and rice casserole, rice and beans with the meat of your choice, breakfast for dinner

whoodathunk
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Chicken thighs are often on sale.  I de-skin & de-bone them and cook with white pepper in a cast iron skillet.  I add a veggie to the skillet and either brown rice or a potato.  

Soak & cook dry beans and then mix with brown rice.  Cook 1 lb ground turkey with chili seasoning.  Shredded lettuce, cheddar cheese, hot sauce, sour cream (I use Greek yogurt), diced tomatoes or salsa, and other toppings of your choice.  Corn tortillas are cheap or splurge on some hard shells at the dollar store...this is a favorite of my family!

Grilled salmon (or canned is fine) pasta & broccoli.  I add the broccoli to the water while the pasta is cooking.  Mix the salmon, broccoli & pasta together with some olive oil, grated cheese and minced garlic.  My daughter hates fish, so I just serve her before adding the salmon.  This is also really good with spinach instead of broccoli!

Ground turkey, broccoli & garlic over frozen (cooked!) ravioli.  Cheap but a crowd pleaser in my house!

Pasta Pesto with sausage.  Sausage is pretty pricey now, but this used to be really cheap.  Grow your own basil and it cuts the cost greatly!

Egg pie...great for breakfast or dinner!  No roll crust (flour, canola oil, sugar, salt & milk), eggs mixed with milk, meat (ham, ground turkey (my fav), sausage), cheese, veggies (broccoli is our fav, but we've done spinach), fresh garlic & white pepper.  I make it right in my big cast iron pan and usually have leftovers for breakfast!

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Aug. 24, 2014 at 12:18 PM

If you like spicy, I have awesome dishes that you could make.

momofthree0429
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 6:21 AM
Is rice and beans, with sautéed onions and peppers. Salsa and guacamole and we have vegetarian burritos.
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 9:07 PM

You might want to try Frugalistas or Inside The Kitchen-both helpful, no drama groups with friendly moms.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/112383/forums/read/20214815/whats_your_weekly_meal_plan_8_24_8_30?last#post282823132

Inside the Kitchen

http://www.cafemom.com/group/116830/forums/246215/See_Active_Posts_Lets_Talk

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Breakfast for dinner

Fried rice

Goulach

Chicken pot pie

Vegetable beef soup

Mac & cheese with ham or tuna

Tuna noodle casserole

Pinto Beans & cornbread

Red Beans & rice

tacos

salmon patties

beanie Wienies

Smoked sausage and sauerkraut

Kielasa and cabbage

Baked ziti

taco salad

turkey noodle casserole

chili

beef stew

ground beef stroganoff

chicken & rice

chicken & dumplings

salisbury steak

pulled pork

bbq chicken

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN