Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Your opinion

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 4:32 PM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: To speed or not to speed that is the question(added some fun options)

Options:

5 miles over

Speed limit only

Go with the flow of traffi

Get a radar dector and go for gold

Take the bus

Fred Flintstone is your only car option

other, there is always an other

Go what you want and talk the hp out of the ticket cause you are just that good..;)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 11

View Results

If the posted speed limit is 55 you are "allowed" 5 miles over. 

It does not mean you are allowed to go with the flow traffic because everyone else is going 80 or 90.  Going with the flow of traffic means you do not go the minimum speed limit in the fast lane. It also does not mean if you are going 5 miles over you are supposed to be considered going to slow.

Who will the policeman give a ticket to?  Does going with the flow of traffic mean you are allowed to speed because everyone else is speeding?  

Just curious because this topic came up in a discussion.

I tend to put my cruise control about 5 over which allows for going up hill etc without dropping below the minimum. I was once told by a highway patrol that they allow for 5 miles over but everything else is speeding. I am just curious.

by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Thelmama
by Thelma on Aug. 26, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Ugh, sorry for any typos. I have a splitting headache and took tyleonol and benadryl and and TUI...typing under the influence (of benadryl)

Lunarprancer
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm the five over type.

Lunarprancer
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

bump

HAHuskey
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 4:51 PM
I usually go 5 over. If I'm going the speed limit or faster, I am well within my rights to be in the fast lane.
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Aug. 26, 2014 at 4:57 PM
Most of the time they won't bother if you are 5 miles or less over, but they can. On a military base you better not be over at all they will ticket you.
Thelmama
by Thelma on Aug. 26, 2014 at 6:05 PM

That's what my thinking is as well.  But I know people who will defend the go with the flow of traffic to no end. I am like flow of traffic or not, I am not going that fast. I do not need a ticket or to end up in a wreck because of fast driving. I have too precious of cargo on my vehicle.  

EireLass
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:06 PM
I got stpped for speeding thursday night. About 12 miles over. No ticket, the boy was younger than my kids. And who tickets the mother figure? Ha
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:42 AM

I drive about 5 over the speed limit

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 7:03 AM

On town/back roads I'm 5 over.

On interstates and highways, 10 over.

offrdngal
by Terri on Aug. 27, 2014 at 7:17 AM

No, you aren't "allowed" to do even 1mph over the posted speed limit.  Most cops won't bother you, if you are "going with the flow".  However, if you are driving erratic, they will nail your butt! 

I think it also depends on the mood the cop is in.  Also, even though they adamantly argue that there are "no quotas", it's been proven over and over, that in fact, there are quotas that must be met. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)