Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fall Fun Fall Fun

Breakfast: Basically the Best Meal Ever

By mariamelee on Nov. 1, 2011 at 12:00 AM

As a freelance writer, I do a lot of research.  This often leads me into weird rabbit holes online—especially when I’m doing research on medical websites.  It turns into this train wreck sort of thing where I immediately convince myself that I’m causing myself and everyone around me to develop cancer because we don’t eat enough green leafy vegetables or flax seed.  (It isn’t really a rational jump, but this is where my brain goes.) 

One of the topics I’ve come across again and again is family mealtime.  Depending on what you’re reading, family mealtime can be attributed to better grades, less drugs, happier kids, healthier kids, college superstars, rocket scientists, etc.  Being an anxious sort of person, I immediately start wondering when the last time we sat down for a peaceful family dinner was.   My husband works an hour away and has an additional part time job.  I work from home and often slap dinner together between answering client emails.  But these are excuses, right?  DON’T I WANT MY KIDS TO BE ROCKET SCIENTISTS? WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? 

I joke, but it really does weigh on my mind.  We try to do at least one family dinner of sorts a week, even if it means going to a restaurant.  But dinner times just aren’t the best times for me and my busy family—a family that includes a toddler who would rather throw food than discuss how his day went. 

But then I get to thinking… why does it have to be dinner?  It could be lunch, right?  Or breakfast?  Breakfast is more of a comfort meal for me. Breakfast is when you’re still a little bit fuzzy and you might be in your pajamas and you might have bad breath but none of that matters.  Breakfast is when you can have something that really should be a dessert but that doesn’t matter either.  It’s when you watch cartoons and drink coffee and pad around in fuzzy socks.  You eat bacon and waffles and you get syrup on your fingers.

It’s basically the best meal ever, right?

When I think about it, family breakfasts started for me over a decade ago, when my husband (then boyfriend) and I would go to a diner at about 11 am when we woke up (ha, remember those days?) after a night of drinking and dancing.  We’d drink a ton of coffee and order huge, extravagant breakfasts full of grease and reminisce about all the shenanigans from the night before.

Years later, when I was pregnant with my first son, family breakfast meant hauling my big baby bump to a breakfast joint with my best friend every Sunday.  That, more than anything, was my very first mom-and-son tradition. 

Basically, I’m on board with this family mealtime thing—in the mornings. I want my kids to remember breakfast as the best thing ever too!  What does breakfast mean to you?  What are your fond breakfast memories?

mariamelee About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • Kiwismommy19
  • by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:04 PM
  • Breakfasts here aren't really a family thing. We're all waking up, barely functioning and are a bit cranky. We really don't talk much until we've been up a while...
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
  • Quote Reply
  • MichelleK41
  • by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 6:14 PM
  • I love using the huge counter top skillet and watching the family chat and giggle at our kitchen table waiting on my easy homemade pancakes!

• Quote Reply
  • ShaunnaMichelle
  • by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 12:59 AM
  • Breakfast is our family meal time too...on the weekends. The weekdays are just too busy already for breakfast, so we do dinner those days. My kids never seem to remember or care about the dinners, but weekend breakfast...it's the BOMB! I think that anytime you can sit down as a family together, whether it is breakfast or dinner, is a great way to start your children on the way to being rocket scientists. But at breakfast you get cinnamon rolls and that makes all the difference! :)

• Quote Reply
  • mariamelee
  • by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM

• Quoting MichelleK41:

I love using the huge counter top skillet and watching the family chat and giggle at our kitchen table waiting on my easy homemade pancakes!

Ohhh that sounds so lovely!  For a little while, my husband got into a pancake making mood.  Maybe I can convince him to do that again now that the weather is cooling off.

• Quote Reply
  • MichelleK41
  • by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 9:44 AM

• Quoting mariamelee:

Quoting MichelleK41:

I love using the huge counter top skillet and watching the family chat and giggle at our kitchen table waiting on my easy homemade pancakes!

Ohhh that sounds so lovely!  For a little while, my husband got into a pancake making mood.  Maybe I can convince him to do that again now that the weather is cooling off.

My SIL is an excellent cook and does a lot of cooking and baking from scratch and it was a nice feeling to hear her rant about how good my pancakes are. =)    Don't you just love a man who can cook?  ;)

• Quote Reply
  • KTMOM
  • by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 1:12 PM
  • It is always nice to have a peaceful morning mela together. Unfortunately it doesn't happen too often in our house.

• Quote Reply
  • Leelee1008
  • by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 3:24 PM
  • we try to do family meals here, but its hectic around here, dinner is when we can actually sit down together except on hubbys work nights

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN