Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fall Fun Fall Fun

The Breakfast Club

There's a new man in my life. And I really, really want to make him a hot breakfast.

He's short, shaggy and senior--about 90, in human years. We call him Sir James, because of his impeccable manners (he always stands up when a lady enters the room, which in our house, happens at the rate of fifteen times an hour). He's an ancient stray husky mix from Brooklyn, just skin and bones. He's so malnourished, we're afraid to pet him too hard. His legs are bowed with arthritis, but he hobbles behind me wherever I go in the house.

I'm in love. I know I'm in love, because I'm frying ground beef to mix into his kibble, at 8:30 in the morning. This week, my children got instant oatmeal, but Sir James was served ground beef, perfectly well done.

The early-morning shift of this house's Breakfast Club consists of two dogs (Sir James and Fanny) and two cats (Carlita and Moe). When I stumble downstairs at 6:30 am after sounding the bugle for the troops upstairs, the whole animal posse is waiting to greet me with purrs and wags. They wait patiently for me to make coffee (not whining like the human creatures are prone to do), and they don't point out that I've worn the same PJs for a week and haven't brushed my hair yet (as the human creatures are prone to do). I appreciate the early-morning Breakfast Club and their gentle ways. They are a calm beginning to our hectic homo sapiens mornings.

So I've been wondering if there's a breakfast recipe that animal and human members of the family can all enjoy.

Um, yeah. I told you Culinary Thinking is not my strong suit. Biscuits-and-gravy recipes for pets vs. people? Not so similar, after all. Got it.

Well, okay. But! Here's some happy overlap. Turns out that the following four breakfast staples are good for both species (in moderation):

1) Plain (non-flavored) yogurt with live cultures -- probiotics for everybody!

2) Apples (I feel a smoothie idea coming on)

3) Oatmeal (the real deal, not the instant, sweetened variety my poor kids got this week)

4) Cooked eggs (turns out raw whites are bad for your puppers -- and your kids)

So this holiday season, don't forget to include the furry crowd. Everybody can use a good breakfast, once in a while.

Um, even my kids. Yeah. I'm on it. I swear.

BreedEmAndWeep About :
Replies (51-53):
  • elijahsmama09
  • by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 1:51 AM
  • My dog hates everything mentioned except eggs...which give her awful gas, lol.

There are tons of great dog friendly recipes out there that dogs will actually eat.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)