Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Suggestions for a cheap texting plan for my daughter please. *PIOG*

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:21 AM
  • 18 Replies

Kyra's dad and I recently (6 weeks ago or so) split up. So far, she's handling it okay and has really taken to texting which ever parent she's not with. We want to get her her own phone so she doesn't have to constantly ask to use the other parent's phone (for example, she'll ask all the time to see my phone to send her dad a simple "hi dad" text, or ask him for his to send me one). It'll also help her stay in contact with some out of the area/out of state family on her own. So, yeah, we've already decided we want to get her a phone. That's not the question though. Where should we go for it? Does anyone know of anywhere that will just let you activate a phone you already have? I am upgrading my own, and when I did last time I gave her my old one to use as an alarm and camera (about a year ago, and she's still taking awesome care of it), so there will be two just laying around here. Seems a waste to buy another one.

What we're wanting is either unlimited text or a lot of messages options, very few talk minutes since she doesn't call much, she prefers texting because it helps her with her letters and spelling.

I found one place that looked great, just $15/month for 60 talk minutes and unlimited text and awesome sounding parental controls. But the cheapest phone they have that she could use (w/the qwerty key board) is the exact same one she has had for the past year. Seems a major waste of money to buy the same phone we already have sitting here. Her dad and I use Sprint, but their cheapest is still more than we want to pay for it (we plan to either split the bill every month or just switch off on who pays it every month).

So, suggestions?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleK41
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:13 AM

We bought the $34 straight talk phone and do the $45 month unlimited talk, text and web browsing for our teens 2 years ago and they still work fine.

Sunshine2plus2
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:14 AM
We have Walmart family plan. 45 first line 35 every other line. Unlimited talk, text and web.

Edit you can use any phone that takes a Sims card.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IncognitoOne
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:16 AM

To use a phone you already have, you'd probably have to go with the company the phone was from. So if it's a Sprint phone, you would have to add her to your plan or get her own.

I don't know if it's everywhere, but no one around here will activate another company's phone. I know some places CAN, it's just that they WON'T...lol.

jenniferlee_12
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I thought that Verizon had a text only for $10 or $20 a month. Not positive though.

EbonySnow
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I'm sorry I don't know, sorry to hear about the split though

Liansmommie
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I sorry to hear about that!

My hubby uses the airlink prepaid from Kroger and it is 27 a month for unlimited text and 200 minutes talk. The phones are nice as well. I would probably just go with what you have already. Even though the phone is the same it sounds like a good deal.

SassyWildflower
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:54 PM

IDK about any other phones. I have boost and it's unlimited everything w/ shrinkage. you start at 50 a month and go down. I'm down to 45 now.

Kiwismommy19
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Thanks, ladies! I've got a lot of different ones to look into :)

kimmiegiggler
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I have no idea!

kimmiegiggler
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Im sorry to hear about the split, how are YOU doing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)