Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fall Fun Fall Fun

Our New Weekend Tradition

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:54 PM
  • 15 Replies

This past weekend, I took my boys to see The Avengers, while it was a good movie, it was definitely a treat. Between the box office and concession stand, we cannot make the movies a weekly thing. As we were leaving the theater, we seen a plane fly over head very low on its way to landing at the airport just 2 miles away.  My son loves airplanes, so much so that his room is decorated in them. I decided to try and find this little plaza by the airport that I heard is kind of like a park, that you can go to and watch the planes land and take off. We found it easily. There is a nice grassy area, plenty of parking, picnic tables, metered binoculars and best of all a PA system that allows you to hear the control tower and/or pilot as they are coming in for landing. It is very neat. There were several families there with picnic baskets and blankets, taking pictures, kids were running around on the grass and young couples were just there watching the planes. It was twice as nice, as it was Saturday evening and a lot of people were there to watch and photograph the 'supermoon' as the view was perfect. Needless to say, we stayed for about an hour. The boys had such a good time, that I decided that we are going to take a picnic dinner  to that plaza once every few weeks. I think it is a fun family outting that the kids will enjoy and won't cost us a thing. My boys were excited when I said that we would be coming back next time with a picnic.

Does anyone else have a place similiar to this by their airport that they visit?

Does anyone take their families on picnics?

by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleK41
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Nope our airport shut off any public access unless you purchase a ticket or just want to view the mounds of dirt set up to hide it. :-/

jenniferlee_12
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:16 PM

That sounds awesome for the kids. Nothing like that here.

Liansmommie
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:14 PM

We have an airbase and local airport nearby so this is something we love to do.

SassyWildflower
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Nothing like that here. But we go on picnics a lot. 

bamababe1975
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM

That's a great way to spend a day! There's a place by the airport, but the airport is almost an hour away, so it just wouldn't be worth it. We do picnics, though, but usually just in our own yard. :)

amonkeymom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:08 PM

That sounds like so much fun!  My youngest would love something like that.

Christy644
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:09 PM
We live in a flight pattern lol. We are way over enjoying planes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:14 PM

How cool! We used to go watch the airplanes come in.There was a spot by the airport but since 911 they closed it.

MixedCooke
by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:48 AM

nope but that sounds great!

cutestmom24
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:25 AM
This

Quoting momofsixangels:

How cool! We used to go watch the airplanes come in.There was a spot by the airport but since 911 they closed it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN