Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fall Fun Fall Fun

Pet moms vs Real moms?

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:31 AM
  • 19 Replies
So I recently was linked to an article on a cat blog that was about how pet moms are moms too. I read it, thought about it, and commented.

Now, I understand that not everyone has the choice to have babies, and that some simply choose not to. I don't really care if someone wants to call themselves a pet mom or refer to their cat as their kid... Whatever floats your boat. I stated all of this and then simply tried to point out that call yourself what you might, but the line is drawn when you think that raising your cat is just the same as me raising my kids. I pointed out the difference in financial commitments, time commitments, and sheer energy. Their response to me was vicious. Saying things such as "well my cat will never grow up to be a serial killer", or saying things such as "ohhh we have another martyr". I became incensed. I abhor anyone pitying me (why would you pity someone with the greatest job in the world), I certainly don't need recognition, I know what I do and how important it is.

I don't dislike animals. Quite the opposite, I love having dogs but being a single mom of a five and two year old I simply haven't the time or energy to have yet another entity that depends solely on me. I also can most assuredly say that I can love a pet to pieces, but i could never put a pet on the same level of my children.

After a heated discussion I was banned from the discussion, while the people who made wild accusations about my mothering skills, and said that children in general are nothing but problems waiting to happen were not rebuked in any way. I generally do my best to avoid conflict, but in this case I urge you to check the site yourself. (link posted below)

Be any kind of mother you want to, but never imply that having a cat is in any way like the job we moms do day and night for the rest of our lives.

Site here: http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/hey-susan-maushart-pet-moms-are-real-moms
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamacalifornia
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I do agree with you that Petmoms will never know the financial aspect, the exhaustedness of motherhood and other things. I do however believe that petmoms probably love their pets just as intensly as a real mother does for her children. I have 2 children and 3 dogs and as much as I love my dogs I do not think that I could ever treat them like my kids.

jenniferlee_12
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I agree with part of what you say. I know that before my son my dog was like my kid, but things definitely change when you have kids.

MichelleK41
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Very well said. =)

Quoting mamacalifornia:

I do agree with you that Petmoms will never know the financial aspect, the exhaustedness of motherhood and other things. I do however believe that petmoms probably love their pets just as intensly as a real mother does for her children. I have 2 children and 3 dogs and as much as I love my dogs I do not think that I could ever treat them like my kids.

Saucy1
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Pets don't compare to babies. I think some petmoms can go a little overbored and think their pets are people. I've seen my neighbor who has a teenager that doesn't live with her share an ice cream with her dog. It's disgusting!!! That dog licks its butt with that tongue.

treasure1212
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:52 PM

i some what agree with this ,however as a pet groomer ive come to know several customer on more personal basis and some do treat their animals as their kids , in fact i knew a lady she was unable to have children so she got a dog , the dog had her own room with dresser and vanity and several other things   the dresser was filled with clothes . she was on the best food that she could buy she also came to be groomed on a weekly basis . and this lady didnt think twice about calling herself a mom. in my personal opinion this particular lady went overboard but it made her happy

i do agree that it is far different from having a child, but its still the same she couldnt fill the void she was filling with human children like she really wanted to so she devoted herself ,time and finances to a dog, which is what we all do as moms of human babies.

other people i knew their kids were grown and out of the house and they just wanted to feel needed again and a pet is what helped them feel like parents again . 

EbonySnow
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:44 PM

same here with my cats. it changes when you have a baby

Quoting jenniferlee_12:

I agree with part of what you say. I know that before my son my dog was like my kid, but things definitely change when you have kids.

Christy644
by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:54 PM

i have my kids and i have my dawgers. My dogs are so much a part of my family. I actually Skype with my lab that went with my son to stay wth his aunt for the summer lol.

snuggiewoogie
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:59 PM

The dog is a huge part of this house.........

good

SassyWildflower
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I'm sorry. IMO, pets are not comparable to children. I have pets. A dog and two cats. I love em..I take care of em..But there's no way I'd compare them to my children.

Liansmommie
by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Pets are a huge part of the family and often even behave as if they are another kid. However when a child dies or, god forbid, just disappears, it is a loss to the entire community. There really is a difference.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)