Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pet moms vs Real moms?

Posted by   + Show Post
So I recently was linked to an article on a cat blog that was about how pet moms are moms too. I read it, thought about it, and commented.

Now, I understand that not everyone has the choice to have babies, and that some simply choose not to. I don't really care if someone wants to call themselves a pet mom or refer to their cat as their kid... Whatever floats your boat. I stated all of this and then simply tried to point out that call yourself what you might, but the line is drawn when you think that raising your cat is just the same as me raising my kids. I pointed out the difference in financial commitments, time commitments, and sheer energy. Their response to me was vicious. Saying things such as "well my cat will never grow up to be a serial killer", or saying things such as "ohhh we have another martyr". I became incensed. I abhor anyone pitying me (why would you pity someone with the greatest job in the world), I certainly don't need recognition, I know what I do and how important it is.

I don't dislike animals. Quite the opposite, I love having dogs but being a single mom of a five and two year old I simply haven't the time or energy to have yet another entity that depends solely on me. I also can most assuredly say that I can love a pet to pieces, but i could never put a pet on the same level of my children.

After a heated discussion I was banned from the discussion, while the people who made wild accusations about my mothering skills, and said that children in general are nothing but problems waiting to happen were not rebuked in any way. I generally do my best to avoid conflict, but in this case I urge you to check the site yourself. (link posted below)

Be any kind of mother you want to, but never imply that having a cat is in any way like the job we moms do day and night for the rest of our lives.

Site here: http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/hey-susan-maushart-pet-moms-are-real-moms
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Replies (11-19):
Kmakksmom
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I like this reply.

Quoting mamacalifornia:

I do agree with you that Petmoms will never know the financial aspect, the exhaustedness of motherhood and other things. I do however believe that petmoms probably love their pets just as intensly as a real mother does for her children. I have 2 children and 3 dogs and as much as I love my dogs I do not think that I could ever treat them like my kids.

aneela
by on May. 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM

pets are not human beings...

Leelee1008
by on May. 20, 2012 at 1:52 PM

wow, sounds like some crazy cat ladies are on the loose. LOL.

if you dont want kids, whatever, but in order to be a "real" parent you must have a "Real HUMAN child" you can be a pet mom or dad and take care of your animal with love and all but the two do not compare fully.

Charizma77
by on May. 20, 2012 at 5:43 PM
I'm not a pet person so I don't understand how people can compare them but I don't have a problem with people feeling like they are parents to their pets just not something I would do.
starreyedcutie
by on May. 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I hate the term "pet parents" Idk why it just bothers me. I think its because I can't stand seeing pets in strollers...clothes...carriers ect. I get it you love your pet but seriously leave the Damn thing alone and let it be a animal lol. I love my dog but couldn't even begin to compare the love for my kids to a love for my dog....they aren't even close. Our dog is a very loved part of the family buy people take it too far
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Well I am a Pet Mom to 3 awesome dogs and a Mom to 4 equally awesome kids.  I agree with you that being a pet mom is nothing like being a mom to kids.

slw123
by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Yes, animals are not children.  A person might love their pet a lot, but the bottom line is that it isn't a human.  It won't grow up and become a (hopefully) productive citizen and give you (real) grandchildren.  Your pet won't make you proud, nor will it break your heart.  Pets are very nice to have, but they aren't children.

dusky_rose
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I agree with you. Pets are not the same level of commitment as children. If cats and dogs were as difficult to raise as children, I don't think that people would have them as pets. That's why I like having cats. You just have to clean out their cat boxes and make sure they are fed and healthy and loved. Other than that, they are not dependant on you like a child is. You don't have to take them everywhere you go, they are happy staying at home curled up sleeping on your bed. Pets are a good starting point in learning to be a responsible parent though.

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

dixiegurl223626
by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:40 PM

While our pets are a huge part of our family, there is a big difference in pets and kids

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)