Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fall Fun Fall Fun

Do you know

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:29 AM
  • 10 Replies

anyone that has made it to the Olympics or came close?

by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jenniferlee_12
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:30 AM

My high school volleyball coach would have made it, but he was an inch too short. He was and still is awesome (even after messing up his hand).

snuggiewoogie
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Nope....

SassyWildflower
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 1:05 PM

not personally. there's a girl in there from the college in my town though =)

Lenoir City, Tenn. native and former Western Kentucky University Hilltopper swimmer Claire Donahue is preparing to compete on the biggest stage for an amateur athlete – the 2012 Olympics in London.

Donahue became the first WKU swimmer to make the U.S. Olympic swimming team and just the third WKU swimmer to take part in the Olympics when she finished second in the Olympic Trials in the 100-meter butterfly. Jevon Atkinson was the last Olympic swimmer from WKU, representing Jamaica in 2004.

Donahue becomes the 12th WKU representative in the Olympics. The last was John McNally, who represented the USA in shooting events five times – the last coming in 2000.

This is a moment that the 23-year-old has been dreaming about since she was 10 years old. Donahue has never traveled across the Atlantic Ocean.

In high school, Donahue was an all-around athlete. She lettered four years in swimming, three years in track and field and two years in cross country.

In her freshman year at Western, Donahue broke the school record in the 100- and 200-yard butterfly. She was a four-year letter winner and set five school records. As a senior, she was named the 2011 WKU Student Athlete of the Year.

Donahue qualified for the 2008 Olympic Trials in the 100- and 200-meter butterfly but did not advance out of the opening round in either event. At the 2010 NCAA championships, Donahue finished fourth in 100-yard butterfly and then came in second in the same event in 2011. She also competed in the 2011 Pan-American games where she won a gold medal in the 100-meter butterfly and the 4-x-100 meter medley relay. At the 2011 national championships, Donahue finished second in the 100-meter butterfly and 11th in the 200-meter butterfly.

At the 2012 Olympic trials in Omaha, Nebraska two weeks ago, Donahue posted a then career-best time of 57.82 seconds, which placed her second at the end of the preliminary heats. Then in Monday night’s semifinals, she logged a time of 58.53 seconds, which was good enough to qualify for the finals of the 100-meter butterfly.

On the following night, Donahue turned in a career-best performance of 57.57 seconds to finish as the runner-up to Dana Vollmer, who posted a time of 56.50 seconds, and to earn a spot of the U.S. Olympic Team. Donahue was .59 of a second ahead of third-place finisher Kathleen Hersey and .65 of a second ahead of Kelsey Floyd, who came in fourth.

According to WKU swimming head coach Bruce Marchionda, Donahue’s time is good for sixth overall of all the swimmers participating in the event. Her top time is only .4 of a second behind the third best time heading in to the Olympics. Gold, silver and bronze medals are awarded to the top three finishers.

Marchionda said at a news conference last Wednesday at Western that Donahue can achieve her two goals – to set a personal record and to earn an Olympic medal in the 100-meter butterfly.

“The neatest thing for me is that within the first 24 hours, all of our goals immediately changed. Obviously our goal was to make the Olympic team. That was it, and we had certain time standards that we had to meet,” coach Marchionda said. “Then for about 24 hours, we let Claire celebrate and then we said okay, now we got to get re-focused. We’ve got to turn our goals around. What do we need to do to get on the medal stand at the Olympic games?”

“It’s fun and I never expected this much support from Hilltopper nation and the community. It’s just truly overwhelming,” Donahue’s college coach said.

“Now that I have accomplished my biggest dream, I’m going to have to re-evaluate things and see what I am capable of,”added. “With swimming, tenths of a second will separate you from a medal. If I go .4 of a second faster, I would be third. It’s very realistic to have a goal of achieving a medal. We still have a few weeks of training left. I still have things that I can fix and focus on and tweak a little bit that might help me get to my goals.”

A “send-off party” was held last Thursday for Donahue at the Indian Hills Country Club. She then met up with all of the members of the U.S. swimming team Saturday to train in Knoxville, Tenn. The team will travel to Spain for another week of workouts and then head to London for the 2012 Games.

Donahue will not be able to take part in the 2012 Olympics’ opening ceremonies as she will start competing in the 100-meter butterfly early Saturday morning.

“It’s very exciting to think how far I have come. Five years ago, coming in as a freshman, I never would’ve thought that I would’ve had this much of an impact on the program and Western Kentucky as a whole,” Donahue said. “I love it here and so for me to be able to improve the program and bring up Western Kentucky’s name is huge for me. It’s very exciting to do that and it gives me a very big sense of pride.”

The 2012 London Summer Olympics will get under way on Friday, July 27 with opening ceremonies. The competitions begin Saturday, July 28 and run through Sunday Aug. 12.

Donahue will start competing on July 28 in 100 meter butterfly heats that will begin at 4:30 a.m. The semifinals will follow at 1:40 p.m. that Saturday with the final billed for 1:30 p.m. Sunday.

The Olympics will be broadcast on the NBC television family of networks – NBC, NBC Sports Network, Bravo, CNBC, MSNBC and Telemundo – as well as on the internet at www.nbcolympics.com.

http://www.franklinfavorite.com/articles/2012/07/12/sports/doc4fff04cbb100d877185221.txt

.JuneDiva629.
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 1:23 PM

nope

Liansmommie
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM

My grandmother was on the diving team when she was a teenager. There are some kids from Lian's school participating this year. He doesn't know any of them personally.

jenniferlee_12
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM

She was on the Olympic diving team? That is awesome.

Quoting Liansmommie:

My grandmother was on the diving team when she was a teenager. There are some kids from Lian's school participating this year. He doesn't know any of them personally.

MichelleK41
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Mot personally but a sister and brother from the city 5 miles from us made it and then of course we are Michael's home town.

Kiwismommy19
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Nope
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EbonySnow
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 3:12 PM

no

ShaunnaMichelle
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Not that I'm aware of. I don't watch the Olympics though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)