Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fall Fun Fall Fun

Have you started thinking of CHRISTMAS already?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have.  We buy starting September so we don't have to spend money all at once later down the road.  It feels nicer on the pocket spread out like this lol.

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Replies (21-28):
mamacalifornia
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 2:44 PM

You make them? You must be creative or a sewer?!! I just buy already made costumes because I am not a sewer or creative!!

Quoting PEEK05:

I'm waiting for my last package to arrive tomorrow to start making my kids their costumes.

Quoting mamacalifornia:

Yes Halloween costumes are bought and on their way so now it is Christmas shopping

PEEK05
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Not really lol.

For my daughter's Batgirl costume, I bought a plain black dress. I will be buying thicker black tights for her to wear too since it gets cold here.  I am taking a black sheet and cutting it into a cape.  My mom will hem it for me to keep it from fraying, and I will watch how she does it so I know how to in the future.  Then it says to buy black felt and draw out the accessories, like the bat, to put on the dress.

For my son's bat costume, I bought a plain black zipper hoodie.  I will take black felt to make wings and also to make ears.  I'm safety pinning that stuff on so #1) I don't have to sew it, and #2) he will be able to continue wearing the hoodie the rest of fall and winter.

Quoting mamacalifornia:

You make them? You must be creative or a sewer?!! I just buy already made costumes because I am not a sewer or creative!!

Quoting PEEK05:

I'm waiting for my last package to arrive tomorrow to start making my kids their costumes.

Quoting mamacalifornia:

Yes Halloween costumes are bought and on their way so now it is Christmas shopping

mamacalifornia
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Ahhh well you are still more creative then I am

Quoting PEEK05:

Not really lol.

For my daughter's Batgirl costume, I bought a plain black dress. I will be buying thicker black tights for her to wear too since it gets cold here.  I am taking a black sheet and cutting it into a cape.  My mom will hem it for me to keep it from fraying, and I will watch how she does it so I know how to in the future.  Then it says to buy black felt and draw out the accessories, like the bat, to put on the dress.

For my son's bat costume, I bought a plain black zipper hoodie.  I will take black felt to make wings and also to make ears.  I'm safety pinning that stuff on so #1) I don't have to sew it, and #2) he will be able to continue wearing the hoodie the rest of fall and winter.

Quoting mamacalifornia:

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting mamacalifornia:

PEEK05
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 2:56 PM

This is my first year.  We spend about $25 on each costume for the kids.  I'm tired of paying $50 for costumes, plus next year we'll have three so then we'll be doing $75, not including if DH and I want to dress up that year lol.

Quoting mamacalifornia:

Quoting PEEK05:

Not really lol.

Quoting mamacalifornia:

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting mamacalifornia:

mamacalifornia
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh yeah the cost is outrageous I buy from a costume place online but I only buy the costumes on clearance so my kids have to choose from those. My daughters cost $9.99 & my sons cost $19.99 & I found an online code for 15% off.

Quoting PEEK05:

This is my first year.  We spend about $25 on each costume for the kids.  I'm tired of paying $50 for costumes, plus next year we'll have three so then we'll be doing $75, not including if DH and I want to dress up that year lol.

Quoting mamacalifornia:

Quoting PEEK05:

Not really lol.

Quoting mamacalifornia:

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting mamacalifornia:

Kathy112761
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Thank you and I'm also sorry about your Dad. I totally get that it's still rough, like I said this is our first year without Mom but this will be my 4th year without my youngest son who died at 19 from a seizure disorder. It gets a little easier every year but every year I can't help thinking what would Kristopher be into now, what would I be buying him this year. So honestly I think this year will be hard for me with having them both gone. Plus to top it off this year is not our year for my step kids, so we will have them up til Christmas Eve and then will have to fly back to AZ. Not looking forward to that part, I think it's going to be a rough day. 

No, it's never easy is it. But the way you suggested about every other year, would work out and on the year that you do your family then do his just another day during the holiday season, then flip it the next year. We do that with Thanksgiving and Easter. Hope it all work out for you. 

Quoting cafay:

Quoting Kathy112761:First, I'm sorry about your Mom. My Dads been gone 2 yrs, and holidays, are rough still.Hugs to you. But we cant go to my sisters because they go to her husbands on Christmas Eve and we cant go to my hybby's because the whole family doesn't get together ubtill Christmas Day. Ugh! It just can't be easy, can it? Any other ideas?

What if you go to one on Christmas eve and one on Christmas day. That's how we are doing it, and it works out pretty well. Although this year is going to feel different on Christmas day with my family, we lost my Mom in May so it's the first one without her.

Quoting cafay:

Yes, its been on my mind, though I havent started shopping yet. But every Christmas Day we go to both sides of the families and I want to split it up this year. One yr., go to my sisters next his. But dh is on the fence, so its been a hot topic discussion as of late.Ugh.

momofsixangels
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Not really

marisab
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:44 AM

I am planning to go cold harded on my dave ramsey so w ehave good savuing for christmas 2013  and car and hous efunds  as well.you?whos with me??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN