Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello! Introduction . . .

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 8:22 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 306 Total Views

I just want to introduce myself, hoping to keep it brief!

My name is Pam.  I live in NH with my husband and two boys, ages 12 and 19.  My 12-yo was diagnosed with SM at the age of 3.  He has made little progress, but progress nonetheless!  He is getting better with eye contact and will speak, although very quietly, even if someone is walking by.  In the past he would stop talking if anyone came within earshot.

We have been through the medication route, but were not happy with the side effects so took him off the meds.  He has been in counseling through the years, but we have found that nothing will be able to MAKE him talk; he has to WANT to talk in order to be helped.  I know he wants to be able to talk like everyone else, but I believe he has become comfortable with his situation and has no desire to step out of  his "comfort zone."

He will be in the 7th grade in September.  We brought him home to home school in the 6th grade and will continue with homeschooling through the middle school years.  I will give him the option to attend public high school if he chooses.  He has made tremendous academic progress!  In public school for 4th and 5th grade, he used a white board to communicate with his teachers.  I agreed to this at first, but soon realized it was becoming a crutch for him.  He would never be given the opportunity to speak if he always had that whiteboard with him!  If he didn't understand something in class, he would never raise his hand . . . as a result, he was left with so many unanswered questions!  This was obvious when I brought him home to school.  We had to start almost from the beginning with math, and have many challenges with reading comprehension!  But he has made tremendous academic progress!

I am looking for more opportunities for him to get involved in sports or other outside activities.  He, of course, would rather just stay home where he feels free to speak.

I could go on and on, but I said I would keep this brief!  I hope to be able to hear from other moms who have the same challenges.

Thank you for reading!

Pam-NH

by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
mommy2fivekidz
by Group Owner on Jul. 12, 2011 at 7:59 AM

Welcome Pam to the group. Glad your son has made some progress and hope he continue's to do so.

Melissa

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN