• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I get an attorney??

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:10 AM
  • 11 Replies

My husband and I are getting a dissolution. He pretty much came up with the whole agreement and it all sounds fine by me but he has an attorney writing it out for us and I'm worried that I might sign something that I might later on realize wasn't what I thought it was. I think I can trust him but he does have a reason to get revenge on me (We've been seperated for a few months and he found out that I was talking to another guy while we were seperated) I just want to keep things as peaceful as I can but I don't want to be pushed into a corner.

For those of you who've had a dissolution, did you have your own attorney and why?

Thanks,

Kristy

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuvMyBoys09
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:18 AM
3 moms liked this

I would get an attorney just to go over it with you to make sure there's no "loop holes" in there that are hidden with legal terms.
I don't care how much you think you can trust a man that you've been with because when it comes to something like this, almost all of them turn in to completely different people when it comes to divorce and custody of the kids.
Cover your own ass.

GraLauJon
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM

when someone hires an atty then they represent the person who hired them.  what we were told is that in divorce they cannot and will not represent both parties b/c it would a "conflict of interest."  I had to fire my atty b/c he wasnt doing anything and charging me up the wazoo, but i still plan on seeking someone out after we feel like we have come to an agreement on what we want.  that way, the professional can tell you if there are any loopholes, or suggest something that maybe was left out. etc.  I certainly dont know all the bylaws so i know it would be smart to consult with someone before the final signing of papers. 

lcm3181
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I would get one...you just never know and it is nice to have someone that will fight for your rights

easinpc
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I would highly suggest getting your own attorney or at least having someone look over your agreement to make sure that it is in your and your childrens best interest.  Like you said you don't want to sign something that is going to come back and bite you in the butt later down the road.

easinpc
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Oh and yes I did have my own attorney for that exact reason.

Ataemommy
by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 2:40 AM
2 moms liked this
Not getting your own attorney could be the dumbest thing you ever do in your entire life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tottaxi
by Battle Weary on Nov. 12, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Quoting Ataemommy:

Not getting your own attorney could be the dumbest thing you ever do in your entire life.

Since I could only push the "like" button once, I thought I would quote the post, too. 

You definitely need an attorney.  There are many details that you will not have even thought of that will come back to bite you in the ass if you do not address them now.  Retain an attorney and tell them what YOU want and then let them take it from there.  If the agreement your stbx's attorney has drawn up is equitable and you are happy with it...great!  But you still need an attorney to represent  you so that no mistakes occur.  It is TOO IMPORTANT.

lplant
by on Nov. 13, 2011 at 6:34 PM

I'm Getting a divorce Because he as been cheating on me. He sits right in front of and talking  to this girl he has been seeing. I think its wrong

Ataemommy
by on Nov. 13, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Also, if you want to mail me the agreement, I can look it over for you. I did my own divorce, had an attorney look over my paperwork, and she said she'd never seen anything so thorough in years of practice. 

I have covered birthdays, vacations, braces, insurance, religion, piercings -- everything.

RLSMOM59
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Please do not send her the agreement. She is not an attorney therefore she is not licensed to do so and she may not be in the same state and does not know all the rules. This would cause you more harm than good. Go to legal aid and ask for an attorney reference that will may charge by the hour or let you make payments. If your spouse has to pay attorney fees, you will recover your out of pocket expense. You can also go to the bar website and research attorneys in your area that are willing to help. GL though

Quoting Ataemommy:

Also, if you want to mail me the agreement, I can look it over for you. I did my own divorce, had an attorney look over my paperwork, and she said she'd never seen anything so thorough in years of practice. 

I have covered birthdays, vacations, braces, insurance, religion, piercings -- everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)