Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wondering???

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:41 AM
  • 6 Replies

We go to court on December 12th for Child Support, what all happens? will they do a visitation schedule also? I let him see his son anytime he wants, just kinda curious what will all happen.  

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
cara124
by Cara on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:48 AM

well in CA those are to separte issues..... so NO.... all that will happen is you'll both have to turn in income statements ( unless you did already ) and the judge will make a decision based on those about the amount the should be awarded to you each month.....

Visitation is handled by another court ( at least in CA thats how it works )

easinpc
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:45 PM

I know in a lot of cases those are to separate situations and court dates.  But you could always call the court house and they may be able to answer those questions for you, or if you are working with an attorney they will be able to tell you as well.

GraLauJon
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 12:23 PM

there are mediators at the court you can speak to to make those arrangements - but you only need to do that if you dont agree.  if you do then you state what you need to on the final papers that you both sign.

Peregrine
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2011 at 12:29 PM

No idea... I haven't been there yet.  But soon... please God soon!

GraLauJon
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Quoting cara124:

well in CA those are to separte issues..... so NO.... all that will happen is you'll both have to turn in income statements ( unless you did already ) and the judge will make a decision based on those about the amount the should be awarded to you each month.....

I am in CA and i dont know what you mean by "different court" ...?   i know that my stbx kept telling the mediator when we attempted to negotiate terms re: the kids that he just wants to write the kids off on his taxes so that he gets a financial break.  a tax accountant told me that he has to have more than 50% custody for that to happen.  but other women i know (although they are in different states than i am) said that they split it every other year or something? maybe that is with 50-50 custody? (it all gets too hairy for me to figure out). I know they calculate the support based on how much custody each parent gets. so the amount of custody should be settled, i assume, before the amount of support....And custody is different than visitation. But, like, if my stbx had 30% physical custody then he would pay more in cs than if he had 50% custody.

M4LG5
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Quoting GraLauJon:

Quoting cara124:

I am in CA and i dont know what you mean by "different court" ...?   i know that my stbx kept telling the mediator when we attempted to negotiate terms re: the kids that he just wants to write the kids off on his taxes so that he gets a financial break.  a tax accountant told me that he has to have more than 50% custody for that to happen.  but other women i know (although they are in different states than i am) said that they split it every other year or something? maybe that is with 50-50 custody? (it all gets too hairy for me to figure out). I know they calculate the support based on how much custody each parent gets. so the amount of custody should be settled, i assume, before the amount of support....And custody is different than visitation. But, like, if my stbx had 30% physical custody then he would pay more in cs than if he had 50% custody.

In in CA and I had to go to court for separately...one for custody and one for child support (this is for my first daughter from my previous relationship).  In order to claim him for taxes, he would need at least 51% or you switch back and forth if you have 50/50. 

Support can't be given unless they know how much custody you have.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)