Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Divorced for 6 yrs still having problems

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:51 AM
  • 15 Replies

Long story short. My Ex was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and still at the age of 53 they continue to spoil him.for the first 4yrs he took me to court ALWAYS claiming he has no money.He was furious because he was forced to pay alimony.The ailmony Almost covers my rent anyway, He has stopped paying me since This past October. He never left the court a change of address or change of phone number and didn't leave a forwarding address either.Fortunatly I do know where he lives.the problem He is no longer working....He never really needed to work and always took off because he knew he has nothing to worry about.He is always looking to not pay me.His parents are smart People They know I can't get Their "GIFTS" to him ie LOTS OF MONEY,cars,houses.They also pay for his attorney fees whereas me It comes out of my Very low savings.I was let go from my job Ran through unemployment found a pt for 8.50hr which is WAY LESS then I made before but it was something.Well They fired me because I strained my hamstrings and could not move fast enough for them.So I know whats about to happen...The courts will serve him he will go to court crying he is out of a job and cant afford to pay me while he is sitting in a house his parents brought so he could live in.While supplying him with money a new car and he also gets a trust fund of 3500 every two months.The court will probly excuse him from paying alimony even though They know about his silver spoon.I'll be out on the streets soon while he continues to live in his ivory tower. Women always get the short end of the deal.

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cenedra64
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:18 AM

wow that's just messed up

RLSMOM59
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Try finding out about the trust. If you know for sure he gets that amount every couple of months, question him, in front of the judge. A trust may be considered income therefor the should have to pay outof that. You may not get money every month but getting something every couple of mnth helps. Also request he turn in cpoies of his taxes from the last 5 years. Use those to spuuort your position. I googled and found this

Just a few questions, does your spouse have control over the trust fund account? Can your spouse access the money or is it or not is his/her control? Did you pay any support, taxes, or maintenance to your spouse’s trust fund from your joint account? If only one dollar of martial funds comingled with trust fund monies you could argue the trust is a martial asset. All the distributions deposited into your joint account and all property bought with those funds will be considered martial property but any future distributions would most likely be considered separate assets. Future distributions would be used in determining ability to pay alimony. If you want to invade the trust fund, be prepared for a lengthy and expensive trial. If the trust fund is large expect the trust lawyers to get involved.

Hopefully this is helpful information. GL

Tink61
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I know for sure He gets it because while we were married he started receiving the funds.his parents while we were married would give up money as they did all their kids ...I'm not talkin hundreds of dollars either  THOUSANDS, If I remember correctly the biggest check we got from them was 75k.So i am absolutly sure that has not stopped.They just gave my 23yr 2k ...no reason just Happy New Year!

I just found out that he is no longer working which means he will use the Bad economy toward his plea.

when we were married I cannot tell you how many days While I THOUGHT he was working he was not when I qeastined him about it his response was he was not worried because He had his parents.He is the ultimate in manipulating people and lying.Thank you so much fot the article.

RLSMOM59
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Ok you know for sure that he is getting trust moneyso he has to report it on his taxes. If any of it went into a joint account while you were married then some of it belongs to you. You first step is to get the divorce packet from the court, ask about clinics and the pro se office. I understand you are mad, frighten, dismayed but you have to take step one. Don't let him know what you are doing because it will give him time to move money (assets) around. Takw your time and he for sure will be surprised. 

Quoting Tink61:

I know for sure He gets it because while we were married he started receiving the funds.his parents while we were married would give up money as they did all their kids ...I'm not talkin hundreds of dollars either  THOUSANDS, If I remember correctly the biggest check we got from them was 75k.So i am absolutly sure that has not stopped.They just gave my 23yr 2k ...no reason just Happy New Year!

I just found out that he is no longer working which means he will use the Bad economy toward his plea.

when we were married I cannot tell you how many days While I THOUGHT he was working he was not when I qeastined him about it his response was he was not worried because He had his parents.He is the ultimate in manipulating people and lying.Thank you so much fot the article.

Tink61
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:29 PM

It did go into a joint account. Why didnt I think about the taxes! I know the accountant who did them also

Tink61
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:31 PM

clinics? Pro se office I'm sorry what are they?

RLSMOM59
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Pro se is what it is called when you represent yourself - no attorney.

Clinics - some courts have divorce clinics for those who have to fiel themselves. Just ask if there are any divorce clinics available and for a phone number of webpage. You can also google free divorce clinics in your area.

Quoting Tink61:

clinics? Pro se office I'm sorry what are they?

RLSMOM59
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:47 PM

OK don't get excited yet. First get the divorce paperwork, completed, and filed. Once you do that then you enter the discovery phase, this is when you ask for everything.

If you have an order from the court that he is to pay file a motion for contempt. It doesn;t have to be in legal terms but you have to spell out pursuant to order (should have a number) issued (date) (Mr. XXX) has not provided XXX amount per month. Last receipt of payment was on (date).

You can google how to write it too to get better wording.

Quoting Tink61:

It did go into a joint account. Why didnt I think about the taxes! I know the accountant who did them also

tottaxi
by Battle Weary on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I have read that if someone receives "gifts" on a regular basis that it can be considered income.

DropZoneMom
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I wasn't aware that judges still awarded alimony.   But I agree that you need to get as much information as possible on his finances and have it introduced in court.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)