Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Off Topic: What would you do in your situation?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:36 PM
  • 11 Replies

I currently work in a daycare, have since May of 2007. I make $8.51/hr but if I clock in on time in the mornings, when I clock back in for lunch, & if I don't forget to clock out at night I get an additional 50 cents/hr (which when I work 40 hours totals an extra $20.00 a week). As an employee I also get a discounted rate on childcare (my employer pays 1/2 of private pay rate & when I was hired she paid the co-pay for government assistance employees- so I get free childcare). When I make it to my 5 years in May I will be getting a 50 cent raise... so that will make me at $9.00/hr (add the bonus & I will make $9.50/hr but the bonus is not guarenteed).

There is a daycare that just opened up that is closer to home, transports to all my kids schools (so they would come to that center after school), & is hiring at $10-$13/hr based on experience for the room I am currently in (infants). It's a nice jump from what I am making now. However, I don't know what type of benefits they offer as far as childcare for employees. And I do know that there are children there now that use to attend the center I am at that my kids go to school with, but personally I do not think of them as good influences. The toddler was in the same class as my toddler & he was very bad! Since he left the daycare the teachers have said the room is so much calmer.

Would you put in your resume with all this info? I'm not sure what hours this position requires but I do know that the center is open until 6:30pm (half hour after my current center closes) BUT the kids would be there with me- I wouldn't have to go get them by a certain time at another location.

Dawn Renee

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RLSMOM59
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM
4 moms liked this

Apply, the worst that could happen is you get an interview and can ask all the questions you listed. After the interview you can determine if it would be a good move, career wise, for you. GL

mantyangel
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Apply - The possible extra cost in daycare might not make it worth it but you won't know unless you ask.  You can always refuse the job if offered and doesn't meet your needs.  And if it's a great job your successfully dealing with the difficult child in the past may be your ticket in LOL

cara124
by Cara on Jan. 16, 2012 at 11:06 AM

based on all that info i say apply ..... the worse that can happen is you turn down the job

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Quoting mantyangel:

Apply - The possible extra cost in daycare might not make it worth it but you won't know unless you ask.  You can always refuse the job if offered and doesn't meet your needs.  And if it's a great job your successfully dealing with the difficult child in the past may be your ticket in LOL

I wouldn't be dealing with the difficult child. He is a toddler & would be in the same room as my toddler. And let me tell you, since the difficult child left the teachers in the toddler room at my center say things have been somewhat more peaceful! Of course, they opened their mouths too fast & my son gave one of them a run for her money today while the other teacher was home sick! :(

KRIZZ25
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 12:41 PM

dam i cant even find a job ..i would apply and see what happens..now days sometime u can apply 3 or 4 time and get no calls..don't tell any one what ur doing  until u know for sure.

KRIZZ25
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 12:43 PM

just remember if u make more u mite have to start making more in day care and u will pay more taxes. i would go buy the new dc and see how it it ..see if u can sit in . go in as a parent first ..than say i work at a dc and i,m looking for  a job closer to home.go from Thar .

Peregrine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Here's my take.

If you're happy where you are I wouldn't rock the boat. First the free child care is a HUGE benefit.

Second, if you already know of a child you don't like being there why would you expose your kid to someone you don't like?

Third, working an extra half an hour doesn't sound like to bad, in the winter when things are yucky anyway. But come summer time, that hald an hour is going to suck.

I say, leave it alone.

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Quoting Peregrine:

Here's my take.

If you're happy where you are I wouldn't rock the boat. First the free child care is a HUGE benefit.

Second, if you already know of a child you don't like being there why would you expose your kid to someone you don't like?

Third, working an extra half an hour doesn't sound like to bad, in the winter when things are yucky anyway. But come summer time, that hald an hour is going to suck.

I say, leave it alone.

I had thought about leaving over last summer because I don't make alot. I do know as a PP mentioned Iwith me being on government assistance my co-pay for childcare would A) have to be paid & B) probably go up. Plus I get food stamp assistance so that would probably go down! The ONLY reason I would go there is because I have not seen a raise (for performance) since 2008 because the owner stopped doing them! I do get raises for completeing classes that are required & when minimum wage goes up. And I was told if I make it to my 5 year anniversary (in May this year) I will get an additional 50 cents per hour. That's still 50 cents LESS than what this other job is offering. I think I could get over my toddler being around this other kid. I might just call & schedule an tour for when I get off work & have my oldest watch the others (or everyone but the toddler & take him with me lol)?

teesoloca
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 7:30 PM
Go for it!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2012 at 7:31 AM
I am... I put in my resume this morning! Fingers are crossed for an interview!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)