Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

it just hit me today

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:56 AM
  • 5 Replies

that my divorce wont be a quick one.. ill make this short but of course with all the crap im going through it may be really long so bare with me please. 

We (my lawyer and I) finally got an Entry of appearance from my soon to be ex husbands lawyer.. My god talk about trying to keep all the money he has, we asked for the financials from ym ex and today he tells me he is doing base pay...okay a little back round here my ex works for Halliburton its an oil field and natrual gas company.. they have long hours and get most of their pay (like 90%) off of over time.. So my ex tells me today that he is going off of base pay which means no over time involved.. i was PISSED.. so i emailed my lawyer and told her that i have all the Log Books he has kept from three years that will show all the money he has made.. all the over time too.. can he really hide behind base pay if all his money is in over time? i feel like hes trying to get out of paying me a good amount of child support and alamony, i think he knows hes going to have to pay a good amount and doesnt want to.. what if my lawyer court orders his work to hand over all his pay stubs and such that show his over time.. that would be a good thing right? god IM SO MAD... like i want to go down to his house and ask him if hes TEN years old or a fucking adult.. hes 26 years old for f sakes... help moms please.. 

1. can he hide behind base pay? 

2. and at temp orders hearing what can i do to get money to me from him if he is hiding behind all this bull crap? i dont want temp orders to drag on because im having a hard time getting a job and the $500 hes giving me now aint going to help..

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
cydney1
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:11 AM

My stbx has dragged out our divorce in order to bleed me dry.  I think that this is very common. 

I have been separated for one year and one half, and divorced for a year, and am finally settling the first week in March.  It has been VERY difficult and expensive; but it will be worth it.  He would have sent me packing with nothing if he had his way; so cruel; like someone I don't know.  Well, that isn't entirely true; he was always stingy and tight with money; a serious control freak.

Keep talking to your attorney and do what she says.  Is she a good attorney?  Don't be afraid to switch.  It makes a huge difference.

Prepare to have to turn in all sorts of documentation to show your customary standard of life:  credit card bills, work stubs, tax returns.

Know too that a lot depends on how long you were married.

Take care and hang in there.:)

LuvLiddy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:20 AM
My stbx is a musician. So he wanted to just count base pay when I knew he made triple base with cash tips. My attorney is requiring him to show all income stubs plus the last 5 years of bank statements, expenses, etc. to prove he made much more than he wants to claim.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mantyangel
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM

In wisconsin it is based on earning potential.  If your lawyer is good, she should be able to prove that the overtime is usual and customary and it should be included in with the child support calculations.  Use the log books, previous taxes filed, etc. to prove income history.  I believe the court can order copies of paychecks from an employer, but if his employer is shady I have heard of employers sending letters to the court stating that overtime is not going to continue to help out employees.  This is usually small companies that do this.  Larger companies don't want to mess with this kind of stuff.  Good Luck

christylove2715
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:05 AM

i have log books from the last three years.. i have all the taxes except this past year we havent filed yet... i have the three bank accounts he has opened in case he tries to use those.. i have lots of documents thank god he left them all here lol and yes my attorney freaking rocks

Quoting cydney1:

My stbx has dragged out our divorce in order to bleed me dry.  I think that this is very common. 

I have been separated for one year and one half, and divorced for a year, and am finally settling the first week in March.  It has been VERY difficult and expensive; but it will be worth it.  He would have sent me packing with nothing if he had his way; so cruel; like someone I don't know.  Well, that isn't entirely true; he was always stingy and tight with money; a serious control freak.

Keep talking to your attorney and do what she says.  Is she a good attorney?  Don't be afraid to switch.  It makes a huge difference.

Prepare to have to turn in all sorts of documentation to show your customary standard of life:  credit card bills, work stubs, tax returns.

SEJ
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM

This sounds like my situation except I'm not divorced yet......5 months since I filed.  Looks like I will have to wait the 2yrs out here in PA.  These abusive controling types seem to say the same thing "you don't deserve anything, you won't get a cent" blah blah.  That is why the law is there!  So far all his crap comments have turned out to be totally untrue.  They try to mess with our heads.  Read up on the law in your state and make sure you like your lawyer.  It's way cheaper to do research/reading cuz it costs $$$ everytime you contact your lawyer.  It's insane.

Quoting cydney1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)