Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm moving, does he need to know?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:51 AM
  • 7 Replies
My ex I have been divorced almost 2 years. He pays his cs with out compliant, but never wants to see our daughter. He told me he would sign away his rights as soon as there was someone to take them over. I have full legal, and full physical custody. He hasn't seen her in 1.5 years. I am buying a house and moving soon. Do I need to tell him we are moving, legally? Does he need to know where? Its only 1.4 miles away, its not like we are moving out of state or anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Cenedra64
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd assume you'd just need to let the courts know so they know where to send child support payments.  especially if he's that absent

AspensMama1537
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:13 AM
He deposits it to my account every month. I just send him a text and let him know if there were any extra expenses that month, like a medical bill.

Quoting Cenedra64:

I'd assume you'd just need to let the courts know so they know where to send child support payments.  especially if he's that absent

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AspensMama1537
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Anyone else know?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephd710
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Does it say anything in your divorce about it?  Mine says if me or my ex moves, we have to give eachother our new address within 48 hours of moving.  If it doesnt, I would say no, you dont have to. 

redpatz
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this
If it states in your court order that u have to, then yes u do. In general, when child support is involved, both parents must inform each other of any change of address or income (though I think most ppl don't tell their ex's of any raises they get). If u don't tell him, & it states in your divorce or custody agreement that u have to, u could be in contempt of court so check your papers before u make any decisions.
tottaxi
by Battle Weary on Feb. 9, 2012 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

If he is a non-factor is there a reason you don't want to give him your new address?  I think your co probably requires it, but even if it doesn't, you have to consider how easy it would be for him to find your address if he chose to...he could just google you!

I'd text it to him in an FYI format and let it go.  At least your child can never say "You didn't tell daddy we moved!" 

Consider it as CYA.

AspensMama1537
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Thanks everyone! I can't believe I never thought to check the court order! I read through it and it only said if I am moving 150+ miles or out of state I had to do some things 60 days ahead of time. I might just mention it but not elaborate on exactly where.

Thanks again!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)