Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting my credit back on track

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM
  • 11 Replies

Today, after seven grueling hours, me going off with the sales people, I was able to purchase a new car. It's a red Kia Rio with lots of stuff i won't use. So what's the big deal? The big deal is I am going to get my credit back  in line (subprime rating), my daughter does not have to drive an unsafe car and I don't have to stay up worrying about her driving the unsafe car. I needed a co-signer and my BF said he would do it without me asking. He even paid the down payment for me (Love him so much!!!!). I also got 2 bags of Starburst Jelly beans, the hazelnut candy, a beautiful card and roses for Valentine's day. I'm not bragging but just wanted to share tolet you all know things will get better and work out for you. I have been emotionally out of the marriage after 10-12 years; divorce finalized in July. Now my worry is trying to keep up the payments so I don' srew up his credit while I build mine. He keeps asking me to marry him but I continue to decline - glad he understand I want all of the money owed to me from my ex!!!

Keep the faith all

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Montreatgrad
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

way to go

amonkeymom
by Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Woo!  Congrats on your new car and on such a great BF!  :)

steviechick
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I know first hand dealing with bad credit.  I had years of experience dealing with it and a total financial deadbeat.  Congrats on getting the new car.  Your bf is a great.

GraLauJon
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM

i was just tihnking about that. my stbx and i filed bk twice during our marriage.  he does taxes and biz mgt if you can beleive that. but i was thinking how i would never be able to remarry with my bad credit. there is a lein on our home, etc.   then i get glimmers of hope and take a reality check, knowing that things CAN get better....i just hope they will.

Peregrine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I need to get a new (ok somewhat new) car, but I'm scared because my STBX screwed my credit horribly. 

partygal19dani
by Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Peregrine:

I need to get a new (ok somewhat new) car, but I'm scared because my STBX screwed my credit horribly. 

You CAN turn it around.......in time!!!  It may take a couple of years of you rebuilding your credit FICA score, but trust me, it can be done because we have done it!!  Our scores a few years back (in 2006 - 2008) were in the high 500's range.  Not the worst, but not the greatest either.  Our credit cards were a bit out of control & then we finally did a home equity loan to consolidate the debt and also worked it out with 2 cards to reduce the debt that we owed and then we were super responsible about paying on time and paying down our debts as quickly as possible.  It was hard and took about 2 years of diligence and not screwing up at all, but then we did it.  My score is now 705 with Experian.  And my husband's is about 680 I think.  So we really jacked up our scores about 100 points and for me a bit more than that.  My advice is to sit down and really look at what you owe and come up with a plan to manage your debt and find a way to pay it down, even if that means taking an extra part-time job until you achieve your goal.  Good luck!!!

And to the Poster, that is really awesome of your boyfriend to do that for you!!!  Sounds like he is a gem of a guy!!  Enjoy your new car!!      

Briteyes32
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I'm happy for you, it sounds like your doing good... 

Wonder how long it takes to recover your credit after a Divorce?

My Divorce is final and he messed up my credit big time. I found out a few months ago I have over$6,000 judgement against me. I went to the court house and found out what it was and who was served. Come to find out it was from some place called Assets Acceptance LLC. and it was my ex that was served. He never gave it to me. I was told it is now to late for me to file to vacate judgement.  My ex got the house like everything else and my name was on it. I filed a quit claim deed. I called the company when I ran a credit report (your aloud 1 free report a year) I faxed them all the papers and they said they would take me off the loan. I guess we will see. 

How are you guys getting your credit back?

RLSMOM59
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:21 PM

It's going to get better. This has taken me about 5 years but it was worth the wait. The biggest issue I had is my daughter driving an unsafe car. My BF realized my fears and helped me more fun to be with when she was driving the old car. I was always distracted. With that said, this may have been his motivation.

Quoting GraLauJon:

i was just tihnking about that. my stbx and i filed bk twice during our marriage.  he does taxes and biz mgt if you can beleive that. but i was thinking how i would never be able to remarry with my bad credit. there is a lein on our home, etc.   then i get glimmers of hope and take a reality check, knowing that things CAN get better....i just hope they will.

RLSMOM59
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:27 PM

y credit is sub-prime belowe 600. He gave me a formula to get it back on track. I have to make 1 additional payment every year. For each payment that is made on time, I get 1 point. Beleive me, I will be making weekly payments.

I also got my tax return. I will be taking a small sum and putting that towards a secure credit card. Again, to help in emergencies and to rebuild my credit. he is such a keeper but I have to fight with all his women (gf (my sister), chick on the side (good friend), young gf (my co-worker), and squeally (his granddaughter).

Quoting partygal19dani:

Quoting Peregrine:

You CAN turn it around.......in time!!!  It may take a couple of years of you rebuilding your credit FICA score, but trust me, it can be done because we have done it!!  Our scores a few years back (in 2006 - 2008) were in the high 500's range.  Not the worst, but not the greatest either.  Our credit cards were a bit out of control & then we finally did a home equity loan to consolidate the debt and also worked it out with 2 cards to reduce the debt that we owed and then we were super responsible about paying on time and paying down our debts as quickly as possible.  It was hard and took about 2 years of diligence and not screwing up at all, but then we did it.  My score is now 705 with Experian.  And my husband's is about 680 I think.  So we really jacked up our scores about 100 points and for me a bit more than that.  My advice is to sit down and really look at what you owe and come up with a plan to manage your debt and find a way to pay it down, even if that means taking an extra part-time job until you achieve your goal.  Good luck!!!

And to the Poster, that is really awesome of your boyfriend to do that for you!!!  Sounds like he is a gem of a guy!!  Enjoy your new car!!      

RLSMOM59
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM

That's a great start. If you have disposable income ($250) try applying for a secure credit card. Use it every couple of months and pay it off immediately. That will help creditors see you are being responsible. You don't have to spend the whole 250 either. For example, when you grocery shop, instead of paying cash, use the card and send the cash to the credit card company. Just don't use bank of america.

By the end of May I will have one bill complete paid off (yeah) and then I'll work on getting another one paid by December. But the most important thing is to take one day at a time and one bill at a time. Someone told me to put more on the high interest one and just the min payment on the others. That way you get rid of the more expensive one first. When that is paid, take the money and put on something else.

Quoting Briteyes32:

I'm happy for you, it sounds like your doing good... 

Wonder how long it takes to recover your credit after a Divorce?

My Divorce is final and he messed up my credit big time. I found out a few months ago I have over$6,000 judgement against me. I went to the court house and found out what it was and who was served. Come to find out it was from some place called Assets Acceptance LLC. and it was my ex that was served. He never gave it to me. I was told it is now to late for me to file to vacate judgement.  My ex got the house like everything else and my name was on it. I filed a quit claim deed. I called the company when I ran a credit report (your aloud 1 free report a year) I faxed them all the papers and they said they would take me off the loan. I guess we will see. 

How are you guys getting your credit back?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)