Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

50/50 custody

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:26 AM
  • 2 Replies
1 mom liked this

Ok so my STBX wants 50/50 custody of our 2 boys....the problem is that he works at a hedge fund where he has long hours...not to mention it is an hour and a half away. OUr entire marriage I have always been the main caretaker of the children. I do believe his wanting this is so he doesnt have to pay the higher child support amount. Anytime we talk about it...he calls me greedy...when I have not once talked about the money...all i talk about is what makes sense...and this DOESNT make sense!!!! Our son was sick and had to stay home all week from school....I missed work adn asked him for a little help but he told me no, that he couldnt take time off...another reason I just dont see it working....

by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
wishbearmom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Do what you know is best for your boys. Keep in mind that they are going through enough change with the divorce. If you have always been their primary caregiver, don't allow your STBX's selfish desire to prevail, and seek to find a custody arrangement that allows them time with their father with the least amount of disruption to their lives. The judge named me primary caregiver of our youngest because the fact is I was the one who took her to dr appts, did her laundry, made her lunches, arranged activities and playdates; I was the one who was responsible for her day to day care. Our custody arrangement is this: her dad gets one overnight during the week and every other weekend from Friday afternoon pick up at school through Monday morning school drop off.

Monsita
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I found out the hard way that TO SOME DAD IT IS ABOUT THE MONEY.....

Fighting for 50/50 custody rights was not my priority, however, it seems to be working for us now. The kids are with me 4 days and 3 with their Dad...

He wanted full custody based on the fact THAT HE WOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY ANY CHILD SUPPORT!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)