Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Divorce & Starting Over Divorce & Starting Over

How often to "check in" with your kids?

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 3:53 PM
  • 2 Replies

I'm wondering how often you "check in" with your kids to see how they are adjusting and feeling? How often do you bring it up? 

Both my girls seem to have adjusted swimmingly with no ill effects. We've been moved out a few months, we've been following the schedule, things are good. No acting out issues from either one, no behavior problems, no regression. A slight bit of clingyness with me after being at their dads, but that's totally expected. They are still little and just want mommy a lot of time (3yo and 6yo).

But I'm wondering....should I make some time with each of them and bring it up? Ask them how they are doing, if they have any questions, if they are worried about something? My 6yo especially is very prone to suggestion, so I'm a bit worried that by bring it up she will get the impression she SHOULD be sad or worried or confused, even if she's not. I don't want to ignore their feeling and the possibility they need to chat....but I don't want to bring it up when they are doing so great, ya know? And potentially cause problems that don't exist?

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
GraLauJon
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 4:00 PM

dont say anything.....BUT if they ask or start talking about stuff be really tuned in and respond then.  keep it simple and age appropriate.  nothing bothered me more than asking my mom for info and her evading my Qs.  really messed me up.

cara124
by Cara on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:19 AM
The ex only has them a couple hours here & there but I try to check in with them every hour
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)