Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Work update...

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:44 PM
  • 16 Replies

Happy New Year ladies!!

I went to find out about transfering. The lady from accounting told me i need to know if the other store has an opening. I know they do and that i am accepted. So i have to get permission from the go managers at my store. I asked them to sign and they both told no, never, it will never happen! The GM even said, i have to figure out if i want to be in this store or quit. 

I called the person that interviewed me originally. He is from corporate and he doesnt want me to quit. I told him what they said and that i didnt want to quit. I wa nt to go work for someone i know we make a good team. He understands my needs and that i have children. Here they dont care if ghey re sick or havent seen me in three weeks. I think i am very productive when im happier, i am no longer happy, i dread going to work. Before i kept going in my days off. He said to give him a few days.

Yesterday i asked, can i be late an hour tomorrow, they manager said NO! Ok, i was early today. Before 11 just in case. Around 230 another manager called me to say that i wasnt sround during roll call. So i asked, did you do another one? He said, the morning one. I was here i replied. He wrote my name down claiming i wasnt there. I told him how this morning they were saying how ppl are tired and the name tags are upside down. So he said, where were you standing, i stand again where and he said, thats outside. I said no. Even michelle, from finance came to me about a deal. I had to talk to Randy. Im in the middle of fixing this issue. My customer is coming soon to pick up the car. So i said, i have to finish this, i'll come back.  He also told me that i need to take at least three ups a day. He doesnt care if i take the ups from the others. And to make sure one of them talks to the ppl i talk to.

So i took an up, and he was the only one around. Not doing much and he said just let them go. I said, no, you told me you have to talk to them. Come and say hi. They are ready to buy. He sent another salesman to talk to the ppl. They claim they are coming back, we will see and hopefully the salesman doesnt steal the deal from me!

It seems to me they are trying to make it really bad so i quit. I feel bullied and harrassed. What do you guys think??

I finally have friday off. I have so much to do too. I have to put my little one in daycare bc my oldest ds is starting college next week. And i am going to start school again also. I need to finish my degree so i can move on to a better job and out of this stupid state. I dont like florida. I rather be a little cold but happy. I love Seattle and i miss it a lot.

Yesterday a friend i saw at a party for new years told me if i wanted to move back to california, she will help me get a job bc she knows a lot of ppl and will help me get a place. Staying with her while i look and get something. But now, this isnt happening for a while. I really want to finish school before i move again.

Any advice?

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GraLauJon
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

i woulda quit that job, sorry. but they are mean. i live in calif so heck ya come out here. lol we have college out here too yanno. you have an offer. i say take it. come back to this side of the woods.

Akeso
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Flika you don't want anything on your record that will make the next employer not hire you. Don't let them harass you into quitting if it's not good for you. Best to leave on good terms and it is so true. I say, stick it out till you get to the other dealership. Then when you're ready to quit you'll have a good record with them (and get this place or someone to write a letter of all your sales, etc if possible). If someone calls them up for a recommendation you don't want them saying "she wasn't here, she was late, she was uncooperative, etc." Just do everything they say until you're out of there. You need to play the game a bit, just until you leave. Good luck, I've been there and it's the pits.

RLSMOM59
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Akeso is so right! Contour to do what you have to to keep food on the table and a roof over your head. I was just terminated but it was in both of our interest. I left with a great letter of recommendation, severance and unemployment. If you are thinking about moving, move for the right reason, not because of friend knows people who may want to hire you. Do your research. My suggestion is to finish school first. transferring between states you tend to loss credits and it takes longer. Also, please make sure you are in an A.S. program if you are in a community college.

Quoting Akeso:

Flika you don't want anything on your record that will make the next employer not hire you. Don't let them harass you into quitting if it's not good for you. Best to leave on good terms and it is so true. I say, stick it out till you get to the other dealership. Then when you're ready to quit you'll have a good record with them (and get this place or someone to write a letter of all your sales, etc if possible). If someone calls them up for a recommendation you don't want them saying "she wasn't here, she was late, she was uncooperative, etc." Just do everything they say until you're out of there. You need to play the game a bit, just until you leave. Good luck, I've been there and it's the pits.

GraLauJon
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:03 PM

i disagree with the other ladies to a certain degree. i totally see what they are saying and its true to make sure you have a good rep, but your bosses are purposely making sure you dont.  if anything, they should be sued.  What i do think is that sometimes making a drastic change is actually good for you and healthier.   it opens new doors and possibilities.   its like hitting the reset button.  

RLSMOM59
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:57 PM
2 moms liked this

GraLauJon,

Flika is in Florida and it is a right to work state. She is in a male dominate filed and they are playing hard ball with her. happens all the time. If she quits, she will not quakify for unemployment. They can lay her off but will not be able to put anyone in that same position. If they terminate her, she still may not be elligible for unemployement (the employer can say no). 

Flika, all request for transfers should be in writing and request a response in writing. Any disucssion should be followed up with an email to the manager. I just to be sure we are on the sme page or I have a clear understanding of your request. Today we discussed I am to have XXX amount of pick-ups per day. then she can describe her plan on how to get the pickup ending with if this is not a correct understand or not a good plan, please provide input. this would put the ball back in his court and give her a written record. after a couple of these, the manager will either stop or have a chat with HR.

Quoting GraLauJon:

i disagree with the other ladies to a certain degree. i totally see what they are saying and its true to make sure you have a good rep, but your bosses are purposely making sure you dont.  if anything, they should be sued.  What i do think is that sometimes making a drastic change is actually good for you and healthier.   it opens new doors and possibilities.   its like hitting the reset button.  

Akeso
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely. Document everything you can, and "play dumb" and light-hearted if you have to when writing the emails. "Just reconfirming you saw I was in fact here (we spoke at the water cooler, remember!?) during roll call! (!)" Kind of thing. Keep it very short. They will try to get you to go on the defensive and say something you shouldn't, then they can say you are not easy to work with or whatever else they're trying to get you for. Just do NOT rise to their bait. Do everything by the book/what they ask you to do so they can't say you're questioning their authority or being insubordinate. If they send you a nasty email with accusations or ask you to do something, do not appear to question their authority. Say something like "I have read it but disagree. I have been doing as you asked since ###... But I will of course do as you ask." Or whatever it is. Always sound like YOU are the reasonable one. It might not matter in the end - if they want you out they will do it, but just try and keep your head and wits about you until you get out of there, and I hope it's really soon! Good luck hon, thinking of you.

flika
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Quoting RLSMOM59:

Thank you! I will write the email now and send it to them.

I'm not moving yet. I told my friend perhaps after I finish my degree. I'm starting next week. I hope to get the transfer to the other store also bc my former boss there will work with me and my schedule. I am in university now. A year and a half to go that unfortunately, since I've been back, bc of everything that was going on in my life before I was unable to continue, otherwise I would be at the end of my career.

Thanks for the support. And I have been looking at the employ Florida website. I am waiting the few days to hear back from the person from corporate. I'm riding the wave right now playing dumb all the time!!
flika
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Quoting Akeso:

Absolutely. Document everything you can, and "play dumb" and light-hearted if you have to when writing the emails. "Just reconfirming you saw I was in fact here (we spoke at the water cooler, remember!?) during roll call! (!)" Kind of thing. Keep it very short. They will try to get you to go on the defensive and say something you shouldn't, then they can say you are not easy to work with or whatever else they're trying to get you for. Just do NOT rise to their bait. Do everything by the book/what they ask you to do so they can't say you're questioning their authority or being insubordinate. If they send you a nasty email with accusations or ask you to do something, do not appear to question their authority. Say something like "I have read it but disagree. I have been doing as you asked since ###... But I will of course do as you ask." Or whatever it is. Always sound like YOU are the reasonable one. It might not matter in the end - if they want you out they will do it, but just try and keep your head and wits about you until you get out of there, and I hope it's really soon! Good luck hon, thinking of you.

I sent the email. I'm waiting for their response now. I'm guessing they won't. Last time i sent email, they never responded.
RLSMOM59
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Since you are working on a commission bases, try Aflac. I got a response from them and will set up an appointment to talk and determine if it is a good match for me or not. 

Quoting flika:

Quoting RLSMOM59:

Thank you! I will write the email now and send it to them.

I'm not moving yet. I told my friend perhaps after I finish my degree. I'm starting next week. I hope to get the transfer to the other store also bc my former boss there will work with me and my schedule. I am in university now. A year and a half to go that unfortunately, since I've been back, bc of everything that was going on in my life before I was unable to continue, otherwise I would be at the end of my career.

Thanks for the support. And I have been looking at the employ Florida website. I am waiting the few days to hear back from the person from corporate. I'm riding the wave right now playing dumb all the time!!

GraLauJon
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

yes, all good points.  i have had female friends here in CA sue the men that made work very hard for them and they won their cases.   men have to be shown they cannot do that too.  its an individual decision on how to handle it.  i am glad everyone has such good advice.  men get away with this stuff b/c they can. most of the time women put up with it or either work around it (like in trying to at least get unemployment as was stated).  i am proud of women who stand up for themselves and dont let the men play that game with them.  i just hope things all work out for you flika!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)