Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are the things that really matter in life.

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:07 PM
  • 5 Replies
2 moms liked this

What are the things that really matter in your life? What are the things that matter the most for you? Is it the people or is it the material posessions that seem more important to you?

Is it your family or is it your job? Is it your partner, your children, your friends or is it the money and the power?

When the time will come for you to leave this world, looking back at your life, would you regret not making more money and accumulating more things or would you regret not spending more time with your loved ones?

Here is a beautiful story that I know for sure will help you answer all of these questions and many others:

“A philosophy professor stood before his class with some items on the table in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks, about 2 inches in diameter.

He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled into the open areas between the rocks.

He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else.
He then asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous “Yes.”

“Now,” said the professor, “I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The rocks are the important things – your family, your partner, your health, your children – things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter – like your job, your house, your car.

The sand is everything else. The small stuff.”

“If you put the sand into the jar first,” he continued “there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take your partner out dancing. There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party and fix the disposal.

Take care of the rocks first – the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.”Author Unknown

So what are the things that matter the most for you? 

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
flika
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM

For me, my children, been able to spend time with them. Specially my 2 yr old. He is soo little and i dont even know what he likes. Today i was answering questions about what he likes and his favorite toys and i had no idea. I had to ask my older kids bc they know everything about him. That broke my heart!!

Lately Im all work and no play. I need time to be with them. Im glad dec is over. I dont like that time of the year anymore. 

GraLauJon
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

i always liked that illustration. my friend used it at her wedding.   i have my kids with me. a roof over my head. food in our mouths. clothes on our backs and the good Lord above to direct and protect us.  that is all i need.

well, i have some pretty awesome friends, too.  keeping busy is key to me.

RLSMOM59
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

This question has many answers and depends where you are in life. During my 20's material things were all I thought about - nice, new car, designer clothes, hair done every other week, eating at expensive restaurants. Major debt!

When I got married then my husband was important to me, then children. We had a house, cars, vacations, private schools, etc. These were material things for others to see or think we were doing well. Later during my 30 things started to change. I was no longer happy with material things. I wanted and needed more emotional time to myself but as a mom and wife, this was not possible.  Ok, I didn't know how to create balance in my life.

My 40's I turned to satisfying myself. it was all about me and the other stuff followed. I still did what was needed for my children but my husband at the time and I fell apart. we were doing everything seperately. I was soooooo miserable, depressed, and just wanted my life to go away. I became envious of people with "good" marriages - only saw the outside though. And I was envious of my single friends who could so whatever they wanted.

Now in my 50's I am finding peace within myself. I don't have a job but i have been able to go back to church. what a wonderful experience to be back worshiping and hearing the Word. I learned to drop my pride and ask for help - do I really care about what others think about me if I need help keeping food on the table and a roof over our head. I cn do whatever i want without having to report in or make sure I'm back in time to fix dinner, do laundry, etc. 

My oldest bio daughter and i have been able to spend better time toghter while she is home from college. i am taking her back next week and won't have to rush home so I will be able to visit with friends. The youngest one is completing college applications and finishing her girls scout gold project. Her and I also were able to perform in a Christmas Carol. My other daughter just got engaged Dec 26 and I have a wedding to look forward too. I just hope she doesn't make me wear orange :-)

So to answer your question about what matters to me I would say God's forgiveness and love for me and my forgiveness and love for others. This translate into peace of mind.

Akeso
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

That's a great way to put it Flika, so sorry about your 2yo but you know he won't remember :-). I know YOU feel you're missing but you're doing what you have to do and doing a GREAT job by the way! Keep focused on the goal to make it even better. Don't let the "sand" you're experiencing at the moment clog up your goal! Do not rise to the bait, keep calm, carry on, and you will get through it.

RLS that's also a good way of putting it at the end. I unfortunately sweat the small stuff. And dwell. But I also know what's important in life, and am not materialistic. Only now because my earning years are limited and I worry about the future, and also I am pissed off the my daughter does not have the best that could be offered her. I do my best. 

RLSMOM59
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Akeso,

Your daughter does have the best because she does not know anything different then from what you have to offer. Your description or experience of best may not be the same as your daughter's. At some time you will stop sweating the small stuff :-) You are doing a wonderful job!!!!

Quoting Akeso:

That's a great way to put it Flika, so sorry about your 2yo but you know he won't remember :-). I know YOU feel you're missing but you're doing what you have to do and doing a GREAT job by the way! Keep focused on the goal to make it even better. Don't let the "sand" you're experiencing at the moment clog up your goal! Do not rise to the bait, keep calm, carry on, and you will get through it.

RLS that's also a good way of putting it at the end. I unfortunately sweat the small stuff. And dwell. But I also know what's important in life, and am not materialistic. Only now because my earning years are limited and I worry about the future, and also I am pissed off the my daughter does not have the best that could be offered her. I do my best. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)