Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Divorce & Starting Over Divorce & Starting Over

Last names

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:39 AM
  • 22 Replies

When you divorced, did you keep your married name or go back to your maiden name or what? What were your reasons? 

I figure I'll just go back to my maiden name. It's not like I have a career under my married name or lots of important things tied to my married name. But then I was thinking tonight and it feels like it could be a pain in the butt to go back to my maiden name and have to get everything switched over again, etc. And then re-train myself to remember I'm using my maiden name again, lol! But I just really don't want to keep my married name...I don't want to be associated with him or his family. Kinda wish I could just make up my own new last name, lol

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grneyedormom
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:11 AM
You can have your name changed back to whatever you wish in the divorce decree if you don't want to "keep" your married name if return to your maiden name. I kept my married name because it's the same name my child has and I felt it was important to have the same last name and my ex didn't care if I kept it or not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rubybabypsychic
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:56 AM
I will be changing my last name to my mothers maiden name
MommaNuney
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:59 AM
I plan on hyphenating mine. I want to still have the same last name as my child.
Meg_the_Mermaid
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Just wondering: If you get remarried, will you still keep your ex's name instead of taking your new married name? 

Quoting grneyedormom:

You can have your name changed back to whatever you wish in the divorce decree if you don't want to "keep" your married name if return to your maiden name. I kept my married name because it's the same name my child has and I felt it was important to have the same last name and my ex didn't care if I kept it or not.

Meg_the_Mermaid
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Hyphenating my maiden and married names would be WAY too long...definitely not doing that. 

And it's not really a huge deal to me if I have a different last name than my daughter. At some point, I may get remarried and change my name again too, so we may have different last names anyway.

grneyedormom
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Doubtful that I will get remarried and if I do, will hyphenate. Maybe. Also, I don't consider it my "ex's name" it's my name, my daughter's name and his name. :)

Quoting Meg_the_Mermaid:

Just wondering: If you get remarried, will you still keep your ex's name instead of taking your new married name? 

Quoting grneyedormom:

cholita1978
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:14 PM
3 moms liked this

I changed back to my maiden name, I felt like it didn't belong to me, it felt strange, and I'm happy with my decision

Meg_the_Mermaid
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

ah, you guys must get along well then! I think that's awesome. Wish it could be like that for me, but the reason we're separated is because he's abusive. It makes me nauseous to have to bear his last name. I've had it for 9 years, but I don't want it. I feel sad that my daughter has to keep it. 

Quoting grneyedormom:

Doubtful that I will get remarried and if I do, will hyphenate. Maybe. Also, I don't consider it my "ex's name" it's my name, my daughter's name and his name. :)

Quoting Meg_the_Mermaid:

Quoting grneyedormom:

MommaNuney
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:30 PM
As much as I can not stand to be linked by name with him, I still want it with my girls.

I was going to change to my maiden but after talking to my DD9 She wants me to keep it. It will be long too.

I know STBX will be furious that I keep it but not like I care.
grneyedormom
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Yes we do, and that makes all of the difference in the world. Find a name you like and ask the Judge to change it in your divorce proceedings! Once it's ordered you change it the same way you changed it when you got married. If you don't, you have to do it through the courts and it will cost money, upwards of $300 possibly (that's how much it is in my county in my state) and can take a couple of months.

Quoting Meg_the_Mermaid:

ah, you guys must get along well then! I think that's awesome. Wish it could be like that for me, but the reason we're separated is because he's abusive. It makes me nauseous to have to bear his last name. I've had it for 9 years, but I don't want it. I feel sad that my daughter has to keep it. 

Quoting grneyedormom:

Quoting Meg_the_Mermaid:

Quoting grneyedormom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN