Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ex In-Laws?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM
  • 15 Replies

Did your relationship with your in-laws get bad after seperation or divorce?  I was shocked at how drastic mine changed.  Once we were on the verge of seperation, my ex mother and father in law, and some of my sister/brother in laws haven't spoken to me once.  It's been over 2 yrs.  My ex majorly badmouthed me though, and even told his daughter (my stepdaughter for 11 yrs!) to not talk to me.  He has 3 siblings, plus their spouses etc. and only 2 of them have spoken to me a little bit now but that's it.  My ex mother/father in laws even act annoyed when my kids even mention me around them.  I think it's ridiculous and really only ruining their relationship because it makes my kids mad.  Is this the norm?  I didn't expect it at all! 

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:20 AM

They've always been distance with me and my family. I'm pretty sure that won't change.

Akeso
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:21 AM

My STBX isolated me from my inlaws (and friends and colleagues) before he finally left. I haven't spoken to them either, except MIL once when DD gave her the phone! She could hardly wait to get off! Just curious: Is he a mama's boy?

nebraskamomto2
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't say he's a mama's boy, and we really weren't all super close to begin with, but we were cordial.  I was the one who did want the divorce due to his being emotionally abusive and controlling.  So he has played the victim and made them all feel bad for him.  I think since he doesn't have any close friends or really anyone now, he's gotten closer to them. 

malibucj
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand now why it is said mother in laws are from hell. In the 7 months of my separation, they are terrible. But the way I see it. They are the ones that have to live with the consequence of pushing their grandchild away

MamaCarrieD
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I had to smile when I saw this post since my ex in laws are...really something else eye rolling

They seem nice to an outsider and they're friends (not sure how they have friends honestly) but they are manipulative and controlling as all hell. Ex Husband has been at their beck and call since he was old enough to use the microwave so I also became like a maid to them to an extent. Ex MIL has contacted me once since the seperation but hasn't since and they seem less than willing to see their GD. They basically pretend dd and I don't exist. It's upsetting to dd because she's three and will ask about Grampa and Gram and she really hardly knows them at all. I on the other hand am glad they are no longer in my life, it was misrable and I feel like I've been freed devlish

mygirls2012
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Same here I was married for 12 years and with the ex for 20 years and we were very close to my inlaws, until like 2.5 years ago we invited them over all the time I actually liked my mom in law very much. Then we separate about  a year ago and nothing she hasnt spoken to my 9 year old in over a year, and called and said some real mean things to my 14 year old (she wanted info on her grandfather- my ex never knew his real father she didnt tell him that the man that raised him wasnt his father until he was 35) and to this day holds a huge family secret. This womans true colors came out and after that happened with my older daughter (she was doing her ancestory) I told my ex she was to never ever call or talk to them again. not that she seemed to care anyway no contact even with my older boys who live in the same state like 30 min away, my boys have known them almost all thier lives and she and her husband have dropped them totally. Its sad as they were really close and now this B**CH wants nothing to do with them... Seems like its not only me going thru this. Sad..

Akeso
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:55 AM

My MIL doesn't give a tinker's cuss about anyone but herself and her son, and her son only so he can be at her beck and call. Me and my DD got in the way so we (esp me) were thrown under the bus and that was that. My MIL is vile btw. And the same - no one would really know what she was like - she saved all her bile for me - when her son wasn't around.

bjane01
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:54 AM
I LOVED my in-laws except for my ex's stepmom. I was always trying to be nice to her and she was nice to my face but she talks behind peoples back & I dont like that.

Regardless, I don't talk to them now in fact my ex banned me from it. I missed them alot & love them dearly but I have had to let go. I know my ex has lied to them about me & it hurts cause they dont understand how much my ex abused me
I hide it.

My mom is dead and I miss my exs mom alot. Shes the mom I wish I had.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom_2_be2008
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM

My relationship with my ex's family was strained well before we split. I was used as a scapegoat for their problems.. everything was my fault. My ex father in law is literally crazy (threatened to burn my house down and had threatened to cut the break lines of my ex husbands first ex wife when they split) so far he hasn't acted on anything but I honestly think he is capable.  

momofne
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I knew my inlaws for over 30 years. They were like my second mom and dad. Told me what ever was decided as far as divorce etc. would not change anything. HA! They don't even speak to me now. Not to mention my MIL bad mouths me to my boys. Pathetic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)