Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Divorce & Starting Over Divorce & Starting Over

Child Support and Jail - Please respond if you have experience with this. **update**

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:12 PM
  • 9 Replies

Long story short; I have been legally separated a little over a year.

My ex has not paid child support and is now in contempt of court for a 3rd time. The first time he said he would pay XXX and he didn't. The second time he asked for a payment agreement to skip a month, then make regular payments. He paid $750 one time and that was it.

We go to court on Thursday and he has asked for another payment agreement to stay out of jail. He asked for 30 days or he will go to jail.

Last time he was before the judge he was told he would serve 6 months and have work release for 3 of them.

I was recently laid off so I NEED this support money. I have applied at a bunch of places but have not heard back from them yet. I also have an online job that is sporadic and a 2nd online possible job that I am interviewing for this week.

My question is DO I give him the payment arrangement again or just say the hell with it and send him to jail?

If he goes to jail he will lose his job selling insurance. He says they can't use his job for work release because they can't track where he goes. Oh, as of right now he owes over $8,000.

No bashing please, thanks in advance!

This man is crazy. Now he tells me if he goes to jail that I need to clean out his apartment! I told him to have his gf do it since she has free time and a key.

Also ds heard me talking to his dad on the phone. He overheard that my mother-in-law does not know what is going on - and he called and told her. I told him it was NOT his place to do that. He doesn't care, he is 18 and po'd at his dad.

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:05 PM

That's a hard one.  I wish I had an answer for you.

You might try asking this over on the Single Moms group as well, the ladies there may have some advice for you.

Snowl
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Thanks! I will do that.

tottaxi
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this

You need him to work to collect CS, but he isn't paying even when he IS working.  This isn't CS that you can count on, so IMO, send him to jail.  Maybe actually reaping the consequences of his irresponsibility will make him wake up and pay you in the future.

And I love your siggy!!!

Snowl
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Thanks! Which siggie did you like? Feel free to grab it.

steviechick
by Kay on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

May I suggest that you have his wages garnished?   You can up to 25% of his income.  I am.

Snowl
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM

They garnished his pt job. They can't garnish the full time job because it's comission based.

starry_mom
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:44 AM
My sons sperm donor is $20,000 in debt to me in csp, if I could send that piece of $#!% to jail I would... But I know he never will...
Don't they have a base wage in insurance? I didn't think it was solely commission based... But send him to jail and have him pay you while he's in...
tottaxi
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Just read your update...

This guy is delusional!!!  You have to clean his apartment while he's in jail?  LMAO!  That doesn't even make sense since it won't be getting dirty when no one is there.  What an idiot!

I don't blame your son one bit.  I'd probably have let his mom know what a great job she did raising a deadbeat, too.  At least be thankful that your son knows that his dad's behavior is wrong.  That gives me hope that he will become an honorable man and father himself.  Maybe you can acknowledge that to your son.

Snowl
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Thanks ladies. I am very proud of my son. He is entering the Air Force this summer after high school simple smile

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)