Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just because I like to be taken care of...

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM
  • 5 Replies
Doesn't mean I can't take care of myself.

I'm a divorced mom with a 9 y/o son. I do pretty much everything on my own, as you'd expect. I'm single, not dating so it's just me. This morning the sink got clogged. It was bad. Had to take it all apart and put it back together even the garbage disposal had to come out. I have no issue doing that sort of thing when it needs done, but it makes me feel soooo lonely. I don't need a man to be my mr fix it, but it really sucks having to do that stuff alone. I'm proud of myself and my independence. I have a good, successful life, a happy and active boy, great friends, an ok social life. But....every once in awhile, something comes up that just makes me miss being part of a family and having a special man to help and support me.

I'm not weak, I'm not some needy pathetic sap, I'm just alone.
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gmoen1977
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I hear ya, but even in a relationship I still find it hard to ask for help even when I know he can so much more than I could.  So much so that he gives me shit for not asking for help.

zumbanerd
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I understand how you feel. Once in awhile I can go down that road. But I'm so grateful to be able to do it because if I had stayed in my marriage then I wouldn't have a house, but an apartment (ex couldn't commit to ownership). I may not enjoy every part of maintaining a home, but I love that I can do it or have someone else do it for me. I hope you have nearby friends and family who can help out.

JackandJayne
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Those are indeed the moments for me too. I've freaked out over a jar before and started sobbing lol. It's occasional, but when it happens, it is lonely. And just not having a partner period. If something happens to your job or you're sick, it's still all on you to fix everything. It sucks.

Akeso
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I used to have to fix everything at home anyway when he was around so it made very little difference. If I need something heavy moved, or raise the height of DD's bicycle seat for instance, I wait until he comes to get DD and ask him to do it. I also tried to fix under the sink so good for you for doing it! I ended up having to call a plumber! LOL. You just do what you can, and what you can't, call a professional. It's their job after all. Luckily service people where I live don't cost the earth.

As for the jar, here's a trick. You have to have a hard floor surface like ceramic tile. You hit the lid rim on the floor in the direction to open it, and when you see bubbles and hear a hiss, it's ready to open. Works like a charm ;-)

gettingoverit
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Know how u feel I clean the yard and I feel good about doing it when im done but then I feel lonely because I had someone that used to help me and take care of those kind of things now i dont it does get lonely at times 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)