Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

taxes

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:53 AM
  • 6 Replies

My daughter's divorce finally in over. When it comes to who get to claim on the taxes, her ex got the 3 older children and she got the youngest one. She was wondering if she can file head of household for the one child. Her ex said no because he is filing head of house for the other three. I'm not sure myself.

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
tempsingl3mom
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Yes, she can file head of household. She IS the head of her household.

I claim 1 child and my ex claims the other 2. We both file head of household and it's completely fine.

Does it say anything different in the divorce agreement?

strungoutmom
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:11 PM

I was told by my Aunt when i got ready to file mine, that I can file Married But seperatley. I am going to claim my Yougest who is 18 sene she lives with me. 

SpurgeonMom
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Turbo tax didn't even give me a choice I put single and they had put me as head of household automatically
RLSMOM59
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:42 AM

Filing this way will cause you to pay more in taxes. If you are on good terms with your STBX, maybe you can work it out to file together. My suggestion is to do the taxes both ways to see what will benefit all of you.

Even though your daughter lives with you, if she worked and made more then $5950, then she will have to file on her own. My daughter did an internship and I suggested to her to leave one week early so she would not go over the $5950.

Quoting strungoutmom:

I was told by my Aunt when i got ready to file mine, that I can file Married But seperatley. I am going to claim my Yougest who is 18 sene she lives with me. 

just4ds10ee
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

If you live in separate homes it is my understanding both of you can file Head of Household if you are taking care of the child more than 50% of the total time but you CAN NOT both file for the same child/social security number or your file will BE FLAGGED and held up especially if you are expecting a refund...but you can check the IRS website IRS.gov....the ex was a tax analyst for about 25 years I SO HATE to ask him ANYTHING!!!!!

strungoutmom
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

My Ex is in Prison Right now so be kinda hard for him to file anything besides he has not worked a regular job in 3 years. So I am going to take advantage of it and file her on mine. He has had control of all the money for the 21 years. I had to ask him for anything I needed. So time for me to take that control back as well. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)